Whenever we’re referring to Uzo Aduba‘s peepers, it’s usually in reference to her character “Crazy Eyes” on Orange Is the New Black. But this time around, our focus was on the jaw-dropping eye makeup she wore to the Emmy Awards.
The Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series nominee shone at the Emmys in a silver smoky eye. Of course, celebrity makeup artist Janice Kinjo had the perfect base to work with, as Aduba’s radiant complexion made the metallic makeup appear even more dazzling. Her super-teased Afro, which was perfected by curl expert and hairstylist Nai’vasha Johnson, added a halo-like effect.
To learn just how to make our own eyes pop like crazy, we went straight to makeup artist Tedrick LaMar of the Butterfly Studio Salon. Watch the video above for his pencil-and-shadow layering trick, then scroll on for the products and tools behind this red-carpet-inspired beauty look.
1. Trace water line and upper lids with Kevyn Aucoin the Eye Pencil Primatif in Basic Black.
2. Use a small brush to blend a matte black eyeshadow onto outer corners of eyes. Try Blackout from Urban Decay’s Naked2 Palette.
3. Add luminosity to inner corners with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Cuff (a metallic silver).
4. To really brighten eyes, place a pearl shimmer shadow such as Verve from the Urban Decay Naked2 Palette on top of the silver.
5. Coat top lashes with a black mascara. LaMar’s product pick: Urban Decay Perversion Mascara.
6. Enhance your eyelashes with Looks So Natural Lash by Kiss in Shy. Pro tip: Use tweezers for an easy application.
7. Complete look with Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer in French Tickler (an iridescent peach).
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- Ashley Graham levels of sexiness are completely achievable with this smoky eye
- Get Kaia Gerber’s sporty pony in 7 simple steps
- Zendaya remixes the classic smoky eye with a surprising color