Following in her supermodel-mother Cindy Crawford‘s high-heeled steps, the 16-year-old booked major shows, including Calvin Klein, Coach, Alexander Wang, and Marc Jacobs. But we’re even more envious that Kaia got to breathe the same air as Rihanna and strut her stuff on the Fenty x Puma runway while rocking a sporty ponytail.
A neon-green hair accessory accentuated the motocross aesthetic of the collection, while the “knotted” design reinvents this classic hairdo and gives it a bit of edge.
Yahoo Beauty tasked editorial makeup artist and hairstylist Brenna D. with re-creating Kaia’s runway pony. Watch the video, follow along, and scroll down below to discover the unconventional tool we used to copy the electric-green string.
1. Apply Redken Stay High 18 High-Hold Gel to Mousse onto hair, focusing primarily on the roots.
2. Use a rat-tail comb to section hair at the crown for the top ponytail. Clip to the side.
3. Add gel-mousse to bottom section, brush product through, and gather into a low pony. Pro tip: Hair Bungees are better than traditional elastics to maintain a strong, sleek hold.
4. Style top pony, smoothing with comb where necessary.
5. Twist top and bottom ponytails into a two-strand loop braid and combine.
6. Wrap a neon-green shoestring around ponytails. Trim excess material. Beauty hack: Nylon braided fishing line works just fine too!
7. Enhance texture by gently pulling ponytails apart to achieve that “knotted” effect. Pro tip: Use bobby pins to secure closely to head.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle: