Here’s an interesting fact: More than half of the 10 best-selling cookbooks on Amazon.com for December revolved around vegetarian, nutrient-dense, low-calorie, or gluten-free foods. Health, diet, and veggie-centric books as gifts during the season of over-indulgence? That’s either an incredibly thoughtful or super audacious move on part of the giver. We’ll let you be the judge.
Leading the pack was Thug Kitchen’s controversial cookbook, which has proven to be a publishing phenomenon. Fans loved the recipes and no-holds-barred approach to vegetarianism, critics were angry about the appropriation of thug culture. The resulting attention equaled healthy sales. (This hilarious trailer probably didn’t hurt, either.)
Other familiar names also dominated the December shopping rush: Ina Garten, Skinnytastes’s Gina Homolka, and Against All Grain’s Danielle Walker. Especially heavy hitters were Pioneer Woman’s Ree Drummond and Yotam Ottolenghi, who each had two titles on the list.
Without further ado, the 10 best-selling cookbooks on Amazon.com in December:
1. Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck by Thug Kitchen
2. Make It Ahead: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten
3. The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor by Gina Homolka
4. Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London’s Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi
5. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier by Ree Drummond
6. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays: 140 Step-by-Step Recipes for Simple, Scrumptious Celebrations by Ree Drummond
7. Mexico: The Cookbook by Margarita Carrillo Arronte
8. Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes by Julie Morris
9. Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi
10. Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime by Danielle Walker
Best-selling cookbooks in previous months:
What was your favorite cookbook this month? Tell us below!