The death of Jackson Odell has been ruled a drug overdose.
Two months after the actor and songwriter was found dead on June 8, just ahead of his 21st birthday, the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner revealed that the cause of death was “acute heroin and cocaine toxicity” and the manner of death was accidental.
The report confirmed speculation that Odell — who acted inThe Goldbergs, Modern Family, and iCarly, and was also a songwriter — had overdosed. Ed Winter, the assistant chief of investigations at the coroner’s office, told USA Today that Odell “had a history of heroin addiction.”
Odell was found dead in a Tarzana, Calif., sober-living home, where he had been living for three weeks. There were no paraphernalia or drugs discovered on the scene when he was found unresponsive. At the time, TMZ reported that he had recently passed a drug test.
The devastated Odell family issued a statement at the time making it clear that regardless of the findings by the coroner’s department, they hold their own truth about Odell, and that’s the one they’re carrying forward. They asked “the rest of the world” to do that “as well.”
After 10 years as an actor, Odell had branched out to songwriting and had recently written songs for Shawn Mendes, he had said on comedian Josh Wolf’s Controlled Chaos podcast. He also wrote music for the film Forever My Girl, which was released earlier this year.
Read more from Yahoo Entertainment: