• U.S.
    The Wrap

    Kobe Bryant, 3 Others Identified by Coroner in Deadly Helicopter Crash

    Kobe Bryant was one of the four people identified Tuesday by the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner in the deadly helicopter crash that claimed nine lives.John Altobelli, Sarah Chester and Ara Zobayan were the other three names provided by the coroner. They were identified through the use of fingerprints.“Investigators are still working on identifying the five remaining decedents,” the coroner said in a statement.Also Read: Oscars to Include Kobe Bryant Tribute During BroadcastDuring a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, the NTSB said that the helicopter missed clearing the hill by 20 to 30 feet. The NTSB said it will have a preliminary report in about 10 days but a final report will not come for 12-18 months.Earlier on Tuesday, the coroner said they had successfully recovered all nine bodies from the crash scene. The coroner said the bodies were “located, removed from the crash site and transported to the department’s Forensic Science Center.”On Monday, NTSB Board Member Jennifer Homendy addressed the media and requested anyone with photos of the weather in the area of the crash send them to witness@ntsb.gov. Homendy stressed that “weather is just a small portion” of the investigation.Also Read: Jimmy Fallon Remembers the Time He Went on a Beer Run With 17-Year-Old Kobe Bryant (Video)Homendy also clarified that the FBI is on the scene simply as a “force multiplier” for the NTSB in assisting the collection of evidence and stressed there is no criminal investigation. The NTSB is in the process of documenting the scene, collecting evidence, taking pictures and using drones to map the wreckage. She described the crash as a “pretty devastating accident scene.”Read original story Kobe Bryant, 3 Others Identified by Coroner in Deadly Helicopter Crash At TheWrap

  • Politics
    The Daily Beast

    Fox News Anchor Chris Wallace Tears Into Conservative Pundit: ‘Get Your Facts Straight!’

    Sparks flew Monday on the Fox News set between Fox News anchor Chris Wallace and conservative contributor Katie Pavlich, with Wallace demanding his colleague get her “facts straight” after Pavlich insisted that certain witnesses had not been called in the impeachment trial.Moments before President Donald Trump’s defense team began its arguments in the Senate impeachment trial, Pavlich noted during Fox’s pretrial coverage that while Republican senators are now weighing whether to call former National Security Adviser John Bolton following his bombshell claims, the House should have presented a more thorough case.“The Senate is not the House, the House did not come with a complete case, and every impeachment beforehand, the witnesses that were called had been called in the House before being brought to the Senate,” she insisted. “So there are questions here about the process.”“That’s not true, that’s not true," Wallace interrupted. “They hadn’t all been called in the House, and in the Clinton impeachment, they’d been called by the general independent counsel. They had not been called by the House.”After Pavlich claimed that was due to an “extensive Justice Department investigation,” Wallace agreed but pointed out that she was “just wrong” to claim that all impeachment witnesses were previously called by the House.“Let me finish. Before the articles were sent to the House, the grand jury material in the Clinton impeachment were handed to the House as part of the articles and given to the Senate,” the right-wing pundit said. “They were not given after the House voted for those articles. That is the difference. The process does matter.”Kellyanne Conway Melts Down Under Grilling by Fox NewsAs anchor Bret Baier attempted to have Wallace give his “final thoughts,” the Fox News Sunday host—who has a history of tangling with the network’s opinion personalities—continued to highlight that what Pavlich said “just isn’t true.”“The fact of the matter is that the whistleblower information was given to the inspector general, who gave it to the Justice Department,” Wallace declared, clearly perturbed. “The Justice Department decided not to investigate, and that is why it went to the House.”“So to say that in the Clinton investigation these people were interviewed by the House, one, they weren’t,” he continued. “And to say it wasn’t done by the Justice Department, because the Justice Department refused to carry out the investigation. Get your facts straight!”“Okay, let’s tone it down,” Baier jumped in.Wallace tearing into a pro-Trump Fox News contributor came just moments after he said on-air that the news that Bolton claims Trump told him that Ukrainian military aid was frozen unless Ukraine investigated the Bidens was obviously big news since Trump supporters were “spinning like crazy” afterward.Fox News Host Hits Trump for Attacking Chris Wallace: You’re ‘Not Entitled to Praise’Read more at The Daily Beast.Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast hereGet our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.

  • U.S.
    Associated Press

    Autistic futures trader who triggered crash spared prison

    A U.S. judge Tuesday sentenced a socially awkward math whiz-turned-futures trader who earned tens of millions of dollars over several years and helped trigger a U.S. stock market “flash crash” from his parents’ suburban London home to time served and a year's home confinement, sparing him imprisonment after prosecutors praised his cooperation and said his crimes were entirely unmotivated by greed. Government prosecutors and defense lawyers described the 41-year-old Navinder Singh Sarao as autistic in memos filed before sentencing in Chicago federal court.

  • World
    Yahoo Finance

    Author: Protect yourself against coronavirus infection with one simple step

    An expert warned that the coronavirus crisis is only “at the beginning” — but people can help protect themselves with one simple step.

  • Business
    Reuters

    No hot meals, blankets, magazines as airlines step up fight on virus

    Passengers on some flights to China will have to make do without hot meals or blankets and newspapers, as airlines step up measures to protect crew and travellers from a coronavirus that has killed more than 130 in the country. Seeking to contain the spread of the new virus by reducing personal contact, Taiwan's China Airlines said it is encouraging passengers to bring their own beverage bottles and would limit re-usable items by replacing them with disposables. The airline and its regional arm Mandarin Airlines have stopped from Monday serving hot meals and replaced tablecloths and napkins with paper towels on cross-strait and Hong Kong flights.

  • World
    Associated Press

    What's new in the China virus outbreak

    More than 4,500 cases of a new viral respiratory illness have been confirmed since an outbreak began last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan. China has cut off access to Wuhan and 16 other cities in Hubei province to try to prevent people from spreading it, trapping more than 50 million people. — The United States was among several other nations airlifting citizens out of Wuhan.