South Africa News

The Times is a South African daily newspaper now available online only. It was an offshoot of The Sunday Times, to whose subscribers it was delivered gratis; non-subscribers paid R2.50 per edition in the early years. It was owned by Tiso Blackstar Group, formerly known as Times Media Group.
Latest trends and discussion about news in South Africa.
  • Google says services on Huawei phone still will function
    Beloit Daily News

    Google says services on Huawei phone still will function

    BEIJING (AP) � Google is assuring users of Huawei smartphones the American company's services still will work on them following U.S. government restrictions on doing business with the Chinese tech giant. Google said Monday it is complying with and "reviewing the implications" of an order that requires export licenses for technology sales to Huawei Technologies Ltd. Last week's order follows U.S. government accusations that Huawei is a security risk and might help Beijing spy abroad. Huawei, which uses Google's Android operating system, is the No. 2 global smartphone brand by number of handsets sold, behind South Korea's Samsung Electronics. Google said on Twitter, "We assure you while we are

  • For many Democrats desperate to beat Trump, Biden's their man
    AFP

    For many Democrats desperate to beat Trump, Biden's their man

    "He could lead the nation and bring us back together," Haley, who is black, told AFP of the 76-year-old former vice president, reflecting what appears to be a solidifying sentiment amid voters whose support has given Biden a commanding poll lead. Haley, a 60-year-old health care professional, was in the crowd Saturday when Biden came to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to address the biggest, most boisterous rally of his four-week-old White House campaign. Many attendees thrilled at Biden essentially sidestepping discussion of the gruelling primary battle ahead and focusing on the general election face-off with Republican Trump, whom he often attacked with explicit condemnation.

  • Mail & Guardian

    Why not voting is an act of collective freedom

    An estimated 26.7-million registered voters from an eligible 35.9-million were expected to turn up at polling stations throughout the country in its sixth general elections since 1994. Although some analysts provide mundane reasons for the low voter turnout, from poor weather to logistical challenges, there is the more significant factor of civil society's discontentment with the trajectory of South Africa's democracy that is being overlooked. For now, the consensus among opposition parties, in spite of their vast ideological divergences on substantive issues of economic policy, social principles and political ideology, especially their position on land, is to punish the governing party for its crass and latent attitude in the face of state capture. Without denying the marginal developmental gains made by the ANC since 1994, such blatant looting of state resources, incompetency in governance, nefarious abuse of executive power, exploiting of loopholes and limitations endemic to the political system (for example, incomplete separation of powers) to punish dissenting voices from within party ranks (let alone from outside), points to deep-seated moral rot.

  • News24.com | Western Cape High Court to hand down judgment in Rob Packham murder case
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | Western Cape High Court to hand down judgment in Rob Packham murder case

    Western Cape High Court Judge Elize Steyn is expected to hand down the judgment in Rob Packham's murder case on Monday. The judgement was previously scheduled for May 16, 2019. The Constantia businessman was arrested on March 1, 2018 for allegedly murdering his school administrator wife Gill in Cape Town on February 22, 2018. Gill's charred remains were found on February 22, 2018, in the boot of her burnt-out car at the Diep River train station in Cape Town. State prosecutor Susan Galloway previously presented two versions to the court on the murder of Gill. The first version that Galloway put to him while on the stand involved an unidentified attacker who killed Gill, ostensibly in a hijacking.

  • Tourists wounded in bus blast near Egypt's Giza Pyramids
    Al Jazeera

    Tourists wounded in bus blast near Egypt's Giza Pyramids

    Passengers in a tourist bus in Egypt are being treated in hospital after a bomb exploded as they were passing the Giza Pyramids. Twenty-five South Africans were on board. The attack comes as Egypt's government tries to revive its once-thriving tourism industry after years of violence and political unrest. Al Jazeera's Victoria Gatenby reports.

  • Folau considering his option despite missing appeal deadline
    Associated Press

    Folau considering his option despite missing appeal deadline

    SYDNEY (AP) — Israel Folau hasn't given up on playing professionally again despite Rugby Australia closing its code of conduct case against the Wallabies star after he missed a deadline to appeal against the termination of his contract.

  • News24.com | 'We warn people, but they don't listen,' says lion farm where toddler's scalp was ripped off
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | 'We warn people, but they don't listen,' says lion farm where toddler's scalp was ripped off

    The lion farm where a little girl's scalp was ripped off last week has put the blame for such incidents squarely on visitors who "don't listen", Sunday newspaper Rapport reported.  The 4-year-old girl was in a critical condition after being attacked by a lioness at Weltevrede Lion Farm in Heilbron on Sunday, May 12, News24 reported.  A part of Dina-Marie de Beer's skull was removed the following day to relieve pressure on her brain.   According to Netwerk24, Dina-Marie was in her father's arms when they were attacked through the fence of a bordering camp.  The juvenile lioness reportedly got hold of her father, Pieter, who sustained minor injuries, but Dina-Marie's scalp was ripped off and her

  • Zuma's tooth and nail fight for a permanent stay of prosecution
    CityPress

    Zuma's tooth and nail fight for a permanent stay of prosecution

    It's been 15 years since former president Jacob Zuma's one-time financial adviser Schabir Shaik faced prosecution for corruption, and yet the disgraced former ANC leader is still fighting tooth and nail not to be indicted on the same charges that saw Shaik being sentenced to 15 years, serve two years and then get released on medical parole. Zuma's corruption trial recommences on Monday morning - and has been set aside until Friday - in the Pietermaritzburg division of the KwaZulu-Natal High Court. The former president is in the dock facing 16 charges of fraud, money laundering, corruption and racketeering linked to 783 payments that French company Thales allegedly made to him in connection with the infamous arms deal. The case was postponed in November last year after Zuma's legal team applied for a permanent stay from prosecution.

  • News24.com | Ford to present evidence in the inquest into Reshall Jimmy's death
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | Ford to present evidence in the inquest into Reshall Jimmy's death

    Motor company Ford will present its evidence in the inquest into the death of Reshall Jimmy at the Western Cape High Court on Monday. Reshall was found dead inside the Ford vehicle in the Wilderness area of the southern Cape on December 4, 2015, after a huge blaze in the car was put out. ALSO READ: Inquest into Reshall Jimmy's fiery death in a Ford Kuga starts on his birthday The National Prosecuting Authority declined to prosecute the matter on the grounds of insufficient evidence, News24 earlier reported. As a result, the matter has turned into an inquest which began on Jimmy's birthday to establish whether the motor company is responsible for the 33-year-old's death. Jimmy's family that is

  • News24.com | PICS: Occupied house left in ruins by now-evicted BLF members
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | PICS: Occupied house left in ruins by now-evicted BLF members

    A lawyer from Pretoria has managed to have a group of Black First Land First (BLF) members who had occupied a house in Brooklyn, Pretoria, evicted - according to Sunday newspaper Rapport. The paper reported that the sheriff of the court removed the occupiers on Friday after an eviction order was issued by the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria. The party - who managed to garner a mere 0.11% of votes nationally on the May 8 general elections - suffered another blow last week when it was forced to give up on a court fight for its supporters who occupied the house in the posh Pretoria suburb of Brooklyn, Times Select reported.  Times Select had reportedly seen a letter written by BLF leader Andile Mngxitama

  • News24.com | Ace's ANC vs Cyril's ANC
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | Ace's ANC vs Cyril's ANC

    2019-05-20 05:02 "We treated our entrepreneurs and businesspeople… like enemies, and white monopoly capital, and all that. That must end today." – President Cyril Ramaphosa, 26 October 2018 "We cannot allow a few of us to be co-opted into the power structure of the (mainly white) rich, while many (indeed most black and African people) still remain poor. We cannot defeat White Monopoly Capital by allowing it to co-opt us." – Ace Magashule, 18 May 2019 Anyone still claiming that the ANC is united under President Cyril Ramaphosa must please explain how the two people quoted above can claim to work towards the same goal in the same organisation. Reading ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule's speech

  • Australia's conservatives set to secure majority government
    Al Jazeera

    Australia's conservatives set to secure majority government

    Australia's ruling centre-right coalition is poised to secure a governing majority in its shock election victory over the centre-left Labor Party, the national broadcaster ABC has projected. Prime Minister Scott Morrison's Liberal-National coalition defied forecasts to be re-elected on Saturday, in what he called a political miracle. On Monday, ABC's election analysts projected that Morrison's coalition will hold at least 77 seats in the 151-member lower house, one more than needed to govern on its own. Labor, which was widely expected to win the election, is set to claim 68 seats, with independents and minor parties taking six. The coalition will not hold a majority in the Senate, the upper

  • Mail & Guardian

    ​FREE TO READ: Get this week's M&G

    Oscar Mabuyane and Babalo Madikizela paid for a Bentley and renovations with suspect funds Based on projections, if the ANC continues on its 2016 trajectory, the party could have to go into coalitions in Johannesburg and in Tshwane A credible Cabinet needs to fight for the economy and prevent losses in the 2021 local elections Former president Jacob Zuma is seeking a permanent stay of prosecution in the corruption case against him that has dragged on for 15 years 'The love was what I needed' New data reveals a radical increase in the number of mines flouting water regulations Residents say the world's largest open-cast platinum mine on their doorstep is killing them; mine management disagrees

  • News24.com | One of top 50 most wanted suspects arrested by Gauteng police
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | One of top 50 most wanted suspects arrested by Gauteng police

    Police arrested one of the top 50 most wanted suspects and repeat offenders in the Gauteng province during an operation over the weekend. "The man who is wanted for a string of cases that include house robberies, theft of motor vehicles and house break-ins was traced and located in Pretoria. "Investigations are still underway as it is believed he could be linked to other cases," police spokesperson captain Mavele Masondo said in a statement on Sunday. The 26-year-old was one of the 1100 arrests made over the weekend in a bid by the police to remove repeat offenders off the streets. "In the quest to remove repeat offenders from the streets, most of whom police have reasons to believe are behind

  • News24.com | Two Eastern Cape men arrested for allegedly kidnapping a prominent businessman
    News 24 South Africa

    News24.com | Two Eastern Cape men arrested for allegedly kidnapping a prominent businessman

    Mthatha police have arrested two men aged 20 and 37at Lower Ngqwarha location in Mqanduli, Eastern Cape on Sunday after they allegedly kidnapped a prominent 24-year-old businessman while opening his home gate on Monday at about 21:30. "It is further alleged that the suspects drove the victim's vehicle which was recovered abandoned on Tuesday near Marhambeni location in Mthatha. The suspects demanded a ransom of thousands rands from his family for his release," police spokesperson Captain Dineo Koena said in a statement on Sunday. Following 'intensive investigations and negotiations', money was arranged to take to the suspects which led to their subsequent arrest at around 10:00. "The suspects