Ariana Grande has made the high ponytail her signature hairstyle, just as her pop music predecessor Mariah Carey did years before. While Grande has experimented with different hair colors and even added braids and bangs, the “Into You” singer can’t get enough of a pony that shows off the left side of her face.
In true Grande fashion, the star sported a high pony at her One Love Manchester benefit concert, but she added a bit of edge with hair rings. We’ve seen this pierced braids trend worn many different ways by celebs like Shay Mitchell, Katy Perry, Christina Aguilera, and Kim Kardashian West. Celebrity stylist Chris Appleton is credited with creating these looks, so we knew exactly where his former assistant, Josh Liu, took inspiration from when styling Grande for the heartwarming U.K. show.
- Apply a quarter-sized amount of mousse (Carey used R+Co Aircraft Pomade Mousse), then cornrow the top middle section of hair.
- Part right side of top section and braid up towards first cornrow. Clip aside ends and repeat on the left side.
- Gather entire top section into a high ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Smooth pony ends and hairline with a teasing brush.
- Use bobby pins to secure braids flat on the head.
- Conceal elastic with a small section of hair by looping it around ponytail holder.
- Open hair rings and loop through braid. Place six rings into each braid (or modify according to your hair length).
- Fluff ponytail with your fingers, and set style using R+Co Outer Space Flexible Hairspray.
Read more from Yahoo Style + Beauty:
- Bella Hadid’s Bangin’ No Makeup-Makeup Is Easier Than It May Seem
- How to Slay Khaleesi ‘Game of Thrones’ Braids in Under 2 Minutes
- Copy Lucy Hale’s Velvet-Wrapped French Braid in 6 Easy Steps