The true genius of camping food lies not with s’mores and canned beans but with foil pack dinners. Even if you’re not roaming the woods, foil pack dinners are a lifesaver on weeknights. They require very little preparation and even less cleanup. All you need is about a square foot of foil, some meat, and your favorite vegetable to get things going. Chicken and broccoli is an unbelievably simple combo that never gets old, because it’s the perfect canvas on which to play with herbs and spices.
Constructing Your Masterpiece
- To put together your foil pack, you need a 12-inch piece of foil, one chopped-up chicken breast, and four or five broccoli florets. Add everything onto the center of your foil in a single layer.
- Then choose your flavor combos. I like to add a teaspoon of dill, a drizzle of olive oil, and half a teaspoon of both cracked black pepper and sea salt. Alternatively, if you want some Asian flair, try adding two tablespoons of soy sauce, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Mix everything together so that you coat your broccoli and chicken evenly. Finally, arrange three thin slices of lemon on your chicken. Fold up all 4 sides of each foil packet and cover the contents completely.
- Place the foil pack on the grill and let it cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, or for the Asian-style, with cilantro and sesame seeds.
You can also try different combinations of flavors like dijon mustard and thyme, rosemary and lemon, or chipotle and lime.
While chicken and broccoli is a great standby, try these options (or any others you dream up).
- chicken + potatoes
- shrimp + corn
- white fish + tomatoes
- salmon + asparagus
If you’re craving more foil pack dinner ideas, follow us on Pinterest for inspo!
(Recipes and photos via Jessi Devenyns / Brit + Co)