Despite reportedly having a change of heart, it seems Meghan Markle's father, Thomas Markle, won't be able to make the royal wedding on May 19 after all.
For those of you just jumping in, here's a quick backstory: Earlier this week, The Daily Mail published footage that seemed to show Thomas staging paparazzi photos of himself. The incident caused Thomas to reportedly drop out of his royal wedding duties—he was supposed to walk Meghan down the aisle—because he didn't want to embarrass his daughter or the royal family. The next day, though, he flip-flopped and told TMZ that he absolutely wanted to go to the royal wedding and be a part of history.
Obsessed with the royals? Same. Click here to get Meghan Markle updates—and more—from our daily newsletter.
But now it seems like this can't happen. According to TMZ, Thomas suffered a heart attack last week and has to have surgery on Wednesday (May 15). This means he most likely can't travel to England to be with Meghan on her wedding day. (TMZ's story contradicts earlier reports that claimed Thomas was already in London. Apparently, this isn't the case.)
At this point, the stories about Thomas Markle attending the royal wedding are so up and down that it's best not to give them much weight. We truly won't know until Saturday if Thomas will be there—or who will walk Meghan down the aisle.
Kensington Palace released a statement about this controversy yesterday. “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding,” a Kensington Palace spokesman said. “She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”