- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
On Instagram, Yearwood, 58, often shares tasty, nutritious meal ideas as well as a refreshing, upbeat and supportive attitude about cooking for her 1 million followers.
Having lost 30 pounds since 2013, Yearwood has managed to maintain that weight loss, which she opened up about in a previous interview regarding her journey.
Trisha Yearwood Shares How A Positive Mindset Helped Her Lose Weight Healthily Over The Years
In April 2013, as many fans might remember, Yearwood turned heads when she appeared at the ACM Awards. The "How Do I Live" hitmaker rocked a curve-hugging Stella McCartney gown that showcased her slimmed-down figure.
The "She's in Love with the Boy" singer later disclosed that she went from a size 14 to a size 10 in the years prior, losing 30 pounds (healthily, which she stresses is important!)
She sat down for an interview with Good Housekeeping at the time, and said: "Walking backstage was so much fun. I hadn't seen anybody in a while, and I was hearing 'Trisha,' 'Trisha,' 'Trisha,' and I realized people were looking at me. I was trying to be all cool about it, but inside I was jumping up and down!"
The Georgia native noted just how important this moment was for her after years of working towards her weight loss goals.
"I've been blessed to live a lot of dreams, but finally looking the way I want, feeling better than I ever knew I could, and wearing a tucked-in shirt with a black leather skirt — that is way, way up there," she added.
Yearwood, who married fellow country superstar Garth Brooks in 2005, admitted to coming from a family that is "genetically and habitually predisposed to be heavy."
In her teenage years, she attempted various weight loss plans, though they did not achieve lasting results.
"I decided to lose weight when I was 15," she continued, telling Good Housekeeping: "I did Scarsdale. I did Weight Watchers. I did Atkins. I was like, 'I can eat bacon and cheese every day!' but that got old really quick. Because if I give up a food group, it's all I want. I was like, I just want a piece of toast!"
After several years of trying and failing different fad diets, Yearwood experienced a significant moment of clarity in 2012 when she went on a trip to Haiti with Habitat for Humanity.
"I really felt my weight on that trip. I'd put a few extra pounds on top of the 20 extra that I always carried. I didn't feel great," she recalled.
Upon her return from Haiti, the "XXX's and OOO's (An American Girl)" singer made a promise to herself to stop grumbling about her body size and take action.
"I had just come back from a place where people don't know where their next meal is coming from, and I was bitching because I was a size 14—poor, pitiful me," Yearwood told the outlet.
"I realized I was tired of losing the same few pounds, tired of complaining about it. I felt, 'Just do it, or shut up about it,'" she continued.
As for how Yearwood lost weight and began meal planning, she incorporated plenty of fruit, vegetables, and lean protein at the very beginning.
When prepping meals, she made sure to prioritize her favorite foods such as cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, apples, grapefruit, and grilled chicken.
In 2021, she told Parade that she follows an 80/20 eating plan. This means that she nourishes her body with "healthy" foods 80% of the time, and treats herself with her favorite indulgences for the other 20%.
"Sometimes I do great; sometimes I don't. I have the blessing and curse of being a pretty good cook, so I can make all the decadent things," she said.
She went on: "But I also challenge myself to make the healthier things taste good. I love to roast a huge pan of root vegetables. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots."
She offered another helpful tip for fans: "The more you roast a vegetable, the sweeter and more caramelized it gets. I make a big pot of rice or risotto to go with that. That's comfort food for us and will last a while."
Regarding exercise and making time for her mental health as well as physical, Yearwood added: "I strength train three times a week and work multiple muscle groups in the same exercises. Then, at least two days a week, I try to do something that benefits my mind, body, and spirit. I hike with my rescue dogs. It's cardio, but it also clears the mind to meditate, talk to God, just be outside."
Yearwood also sweetly told Good Housekeeping in 2013 that her husband, Brooks has been by her side through her entire weight loss journey, and made her feel valued and supported the entire time.
"He is Superman because he never made me feel bad about my weight," she said.
She gushed:"He always told me I was beautiful. He says, 'I wish you could see yourself the way I see you. I love you at this weight, and the only other weight I love you at is whatever weight you are.'"