For all the modern, trendier hotels turning heads these days, the most popular U.S. hotel on TripAdvisor this year is an 89-year-old throwback that conjures old-world New York City.
The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, on the southeast edge of Central Park, is No. 1 in TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice hotel rankings for the U.S. this year. The travel site bases its list on the quantity and quality of hotel reviews by its millions of members over the last 12 months.
As for the top-rated hotel in the world, that title goes to the Umaid Bhawan Palace, in Jodhpur, India, which is set inside an actual palace.
Here are the top 10 hotels in the U.S., along with their average nightly rates on TripAdvisor.
Sherry-Netherland Hotel (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
1. Sherry-Netherland Hotel, New York (average rate of $615): This year’s winner wasn’t ranked in last year’s top 10, but it stormed to No. 1 in 2016 in part because of its reputation for five-star service and its ornate, old-world lobby with painted ceilings.
Bardessono (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
2. Bardessono, Yountville, Calif. (average rate of $754): While the No. 1 hotel is more of a throwback, the runner-up is all about modern elegance, and with a LEED certification and rooftop solar panels, it embraces sustainability as well. There’s an in-room spa package for easy pampering, as well as the option to rent a Lexus RX Hybrid 450H for a dinner drive to the famed French Laundry.
Nantucket Hotel & Resort (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
3. Nantucket Hotel & Resort, Nantucket, Mass. (average rate of $229): This hotel, built in 1891 and renovated in 2012, is a more budget-friendly accommodation in one of America’s most beautiful settings. Its year-round location, heated swimming pool, and children’s services are top reasons to stay here.
French Quarter Inn (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
4. French Quarter Inn, Charleston, S.C. (average rate of $475): Slipping just two spots from last year’s Top 10 is this 50-room boutique hotel in the Historic District known for its complimentary champagne and breakfasts.
The Oxford Hotel (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
5. The Oxford Hotel, Bend, Ore. (average rate of $339): This “eco-chic boutique” rose one spot from last year’s Top 10, and it remains a fantastic home base for exploring Central Oregon’s outdoors. Everything is green here, from the bedding to the organic 10below restaurant.
Ponte Vineyard Inn (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
6. Ponte Vineyard Inn, Temecula, Calif. (average rate of $311): Consider the $240 Winter Warm-Up Package at this 60-room boutique hotel in the heart of Temecula’s wine country. It includes hot cocoa, marshmallows, coffee mugs, and a take-home blanket to wear by the outdoor fire pits — plus a cocktail nightcap at the Cellar Lounge.
Icona Diamond Beach (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
7. Icona Diamond Beach, Wildwood Crest, N.J. (average rate of $221): Each room here comes with a full galley kitchen, and the views of the nearby beach help get this place in the Top 10. Says one reviewer: “Our suite was absolutely lovely with all the comforts of home including a well-stocked kitchenette. The location is perfect; the soft sand beach is absolutely beautiful and groomed every day.”
The Talbott Hotel (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
8. The Talbott Hotel, Chicago (average rate of $255): Now is definitely the time to stay at this hotel in the Gold Coast district — its average rate drops to $152 in January. You’ll love the deluxe beds and Italian linens, as well as the abundant dining and shopping in the neighborhood.
Belamere Suites (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
9. Belamere Suites, Perrysburg, Ohio (average rate of $242): This is the place to go for an adults-only getaway: Guests under 21 are not allowed. Favorite amenities include an in-room swimming pool, catered breakfast, and a dedicated 24-hour concierge service.
Casablanca Hotel Times Square. (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
10. Casablanca Hotel, Times Square, New York (average rate of $375): This European-style hotel makes for a cozy hideaway in the heart of Times Square. A favorite feature is Rick’s Café, which offers complimentary coffee, tea, cookies, and fruit all day, along with free prosecco and cheese every evening.
And here are the top-rated hotels in the world on TripAdvisor:
1. Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur – Jodhpur, India
2. Shinta Mani Resort – Siem Reap, Cambodia
3. Bellevue Syrene – Sorrento, Italy
4. Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa – Hanoi, Vietnam
5. Achtis Hotel – Afitos, Greece
6. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons – Great Milton, United Kingdom
7. Mirihi Island Resort – Mirihi, Maldives
8. Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba – Palm-Eagle Beach, Aruba
9. Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa – Lance aux Epines, Grenada
10. Hotel Ritta Höppner – Gramado, Brazil