Three couples honored for historic preservation work in Tuscarawas County

Sharon Moravian Church near Tuscarawas has been awarded a historic marker by the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association. The main part of the church was completed in 1858.

WARWICK TWP. ‒ Three area couples are being recognized for their efforts in preserving historic buildings in Tuscarawas County.

They were honored at the ninth annual Heroes of Preservation and History ceremony Thursday at Sharon Moravian Church near Tuscarawas.

Previous awards: Three county residents recognized as 2022 Heroes of History

Josh and Hannah McKeivier were honored for restoring about 25 19th century log cabins at the former Heartland Retreat on state Route 183 in Sandy Township. They purchased the property in 2013.

Coby Hartzler and Liz Yoder were recognized for the work in restoring an 1894 Eastlake-style house at 402 E. Third St. in Dover. When they bought the five-bedroom house, the windows were broken and vines were coming in the windows. It had been vacant for 10 to 15 years.

John and Linda Welfley were honored for converting a barn built in 1931 into a house. It took two years and four months to restore the barn, located at 2960 Boltz Road NE in Warwick Township. When they bought it, the structure had 8 inches of chicken manure in it.

A Hero of History

John E. Little of Port Washington was presented the Hero of History award. He has been involved in many projects over the years, including helping to develop a hiking trail in the Newcomerstown area, participating in the restoration of the old Port Washington town hall and the Canal Dover Toll House in Dover and helping to install signs along the historic Port Washington Road.

John E. Little

Jackson Lurie, son of Seth and Danielle Lurie, received the Jeff Miller Memorial Tradesman Award. It comes with a $1,000 scholarship. Lurie is a graduating senior from Buckeye Career Center and Dover High School. He has been accepted into Wheeling University in business management with a concentration in construction management.

Jackson Lurie

Three historic markers were also given to the following structures:

The Baltic Mill Winery, built in 1908, has been awarded a historic marker by the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association.
  • Sharon Moravian Church, which was completed in 1858 at a cost of $6,000. An addition was added in 1957.

  • The Baltic Mill Winery, which was built in 1908. The mill equipment can still be seen on the second and third floors. It is owned by Dan and Judy Garver.

  • The Uhrichsville Business District, four separate buildings located at 122-128 E. Third St. The structures date back to the 1870s. They are owned by Rita McPeak.

This building at 122-124 E. Third St., Uhrichsville, is part of a group of buildings that has been awarded a historic marker by the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Associations. The buildings date to the 1870s.

Reach Jon at 330-364-8415 or at

This article originally appeared on The Times-Reporter: Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association presents awards