Ryan Hart, a 14-year-old boy from Michigan, had a rude surprise when he bit into his Arby's roast beef sandwich. "I was like, 'that's got to be a finger,'" he told the website Michigan Live. "It was just nasty."
Reportedly, a restaurant employee cut off her finger with a meat slicer while preparing the meal. She left her station to deal with the emergency, and other employees, who not unaware of her injury, continued to complete the order. Steve Hall, environmental health director for the Jackson County Health Department, said the restaurant was closed and sanitized after the incident.
"Somebody loses a finger and you keep sending food out the window," the teen's mom, Jamie Vail, told the website. "I can't believe that." She added that following the gruesome discovery, her son was "traumatized," couldn't eat or sleep, and had been prescribed medication Fox News reports.
Related: Can Fast Food Make You Depressed?
John Gray, Arby's vice president of communications, said in a statement that the company was "deeply concerned and apologetic to the guest involved in the unfortunate incident." He added that Arby's was "committed to providing quality food in a safe and healthy environment."
As shocking as this story is, it's not the first time a human body part has been found in a fast food restaurant meal.
A Dayton Ohio man sued Arby's in 2005 for reportedly serving him a chicken sandwich topped with a piece of human skin.
In a famous 2005 hoax, a Las Vegas woman found a human finger in Wendy's chili but police later discovered she had cooked her husband's colleague's finger (which he had lost in a work accident) and slipped it into the bowl herself.
An Albany-area man allegedly found a bloody bandage in the crust of his Pizza Hut pie in 2011.
Also in 2011, Texan woman found blood on her French fries while eating at a Houston-area Crackle Barrel.
Do you think the health and safety standards are high enough at fast food restaurants? Please let us know in the comments below.
Also on Shine: