Do your drawers look abysmal, with bundled up T-shirts and sheets all askew? Here are our easy-to-follow tips to become a folding pro.
How to Fold a T-Shirt
To learn how to fold T-shirts like an expert, download these illustrated directions. Then, lay a T-shirt horizontally and faceup in front of you with the neck on the right-hand side, and follow these easy steps.
1. Using both hands, pinch the shirt on the side opposite you at two points: (a) with one hand at the shoulder, midway between the sleeve and the neck; and (b) with the other, halfway down the shirt, parallel to your other hand.
2. While holding the two points, cross your right hand over your left, bringing the shoulder down to meet the shirt's bottom hem, and grab the hem.
3. Lift the shirt so it hangs in front of you. Uncross your arms without letting go of the shirt, and pull the fold taut as you do so.
4. Place the hanging sleeve on the work surface, and neatly drape the folded portion over to finish.
Plus: Watch the Video
How to Fold a Towel
A properly folded towel has a neat, fluffy appearance and hidden edges.
1. Fold towel in thirds lengthwise. (If towel will be hung, transfer to rod; the monogram, if any, will be centered and visible.)
2. Fold towel into a rectangle. Keep sets of guest towels together, bound with twill tape or ribbon. When visitors arrive, just transfer a stack from linen closet to guest bedroom.
Plus: Most Effective Bathroom-Cleaning Tips
How to Fold a Fitted Sheet (yes it's possible)
There is a foolproof technique for folding a fitted sheet. These instructions are for a right-handed person; just reverse them if you're left-handed.
1. Stand holding the sheet by the two adjacent corners of one of the shorter edges. With the sheet inside out, place one hand in each of these two corners.
2. Bring your right hand to your left, and fold the corner in your right hand over the one in your left, enveloping it. Next, reach down and pick up the corner that is hanging in front; bring it up, and fold it over the two corners in your left hand; the corner that's showing will be inside out.
3. Bring the last corner up, and fold it over the others; with its right side showing, it should envelop the other three corners.
4. Lay the folded sheet on a flat surface and straighten it into the shape shown.
5. Fold the two edges in so all the elastic is hidden.
6. Fold the sheet into a rectangle.
7. Continue folding until the rectangle is the size you want it to be.
Top 50 Money-Saving Tips
How to Turn Cleaning into Meditation
Decorating on a Budget