Sweet Potato Sugar Cookies with Marshmallow Topping
Servings: 15 servings
½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup (159g) light brown sugar
½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup (230g) sweet potato puree
2 cups (241g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato puree and mix to combine. Scrape the bowl well and mix for 1 minute more.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine. Add the flour mixture to the bowl of the mixer and mix on low speed until the mixture is evenly combined, about 1 minute.
4. Scoop the dough into ¼-cup mounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Stagger the cookies, leaving at least 2 inches between them.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cookies are lightly golden around the edge and spring back lightly when touched in the center, 10 to 12 minutes. Add a marshmallow to the top of each cookie and press it gently into the cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake until the marshmallows have melted over the surface and toasted slightly, 7 to 9 minutes more. (If any of the marshmallows start to slide off the cookies, you can use a small metal spatula to nudge them back in place—they will slide right back!) Cool completely before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.