Sweet Potato Pots de Crème with Toasted Marshmallow
Servings: 6 servings
1 cup (230g) heavy cream
½ cup (113g) whole milk
¾ cup (166g) sweet potato puree
⅓ cup (71g) light brown sugar
⅓ cup (113g) honey
6 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
6 tablespoons (32g) marshmallow fluff
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 325°F. Bring a large kettle of water to a simmer. Place six 6-ounce ramekins in a baking pan.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, sweet potato puree, sugar and honey, and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring to make sure the mixture is smooth and the sugar is fully dissolved.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to combine.
4. Whisking constantly, gradually pour the warm milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks. Whisk until the two mixtures are well combined. Transfer to a large container with a pour spout (e.g., a 4-cup liquid measuring cup).
5. Gently pour the custard into the prepared ramekins, filling each three quarters of the way full. Carefully transfer the baking pan to the oven. Once it’s on the center rack, pour the kettle of hot water into the baking pan so that the water comes about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until the custards are set at the edges but still jiggly in the center, 35 to 40 minutes.
6. Remove the custards from the water bath to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
7. To serve, top each chilled pot de crème with a heaping tablespoon of marshmallow fluff. If desired, toast with a torch just before serving.
PureWow may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from PureWow's editorial and sales departments.