Servings: Makes 9 biscuits
2 cups Bisquick
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup Sprite or 7-Up
2 tablespoons sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, plus more for serving
Cane syrup or molasses, for topping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the Bisquick, buttermilk, Sprite or 7-Up and sugar with a wooden spoon. Gather the dough together into a ball and gently pat or roll it out 1 inch thick on a floured surface (or just use more Bisquick on the rolling surface).
3. Put the butter in a 9-inch round cake pan and set it in the oven to melt.
4. Meanwhile, using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a 3-inch-wide drinking glass, cut out biscuits, without twisting the cutter. (If you twist, they won’t rise as high.)
5. When the butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven and, using a large spatula to lift the biscuits, arrange them around the edge of the pan, setting them into the melted butter, placing one in the center. Bake the biscuits until golden on top, 8 to 10 minutes. The tops should spring back when touched.
6. Cover the pan with a plate, flip the biscuits over onto it, and serve immediately, with more butter on the side and, if you like, cane syrup or molasses to drizzle over the top.
NOTE: The recipe doubles perfectly, for 18 biscuits. Just use two cake pans and melt a stick of butter in each one, and double the other ingredients.
PureWow may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from PureWow's editorial and sales departments.