Ah, summer. The season of sipping rosé poolside while soaking in the sun. But, if you're going to truly enjoy the warm season, your outdoor space should be as chic as the inside of your home–and if you'er a DIYer inside, who says you can't try your hand at outdoor hacks? This particular project is a personal favorite of mine, and a surprisingly easy project for how big of an impact it has. Last summer, my roommates and I were looking to step up the furniture game on our roof, but all of the options for simple, folding sling chairs featured disappointingly drab fabrics. The solution? Create our own.
For a project that essentially creates an entirely new piece of custom furniture, this project is almost too easy.
Here's How to Build the Sling Chair:
- Snag some inexpensive sling chairs with blah fabric at your local Home Depot, Ikea, or wherever you can find them for a deal (if you can find used ones at a flea market or on Craigslist with worn or dirty seats: jackpot!). The particular Ikea ones we used are now discontinued, but there are plenty of options on Amazon, Wayfair, Overstock, and more.
- Select an outdoor fabric you love—trust us, there are plenty on the market. My roommates and I ended up going with a Tommy Bahama print from Fabric.com, because at $11 per yard (and cheaper the more you buy!), you really can't beat the price.
- Most sling chairs stay in place with a rod that fits into the end of the chair's fabric and catches between two larger rods or slats of wood. Slide out the rod and remove the sling seat from the frame (if the rod isn't easily removable and you have to cut the fabric, that's okay! You're going to replace it.
- Using the chair fabric as a guide, cut a piece a few inches longer than it is on either end and about an inch wider on both sides.
- Hem the sides and sew loops on either end to fit the rods snugly.
- Slip either end of the fabric in between the two rods or slats in the frame, and slide the rods into their loops.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy the sun!
Follow House Beautiful on Instagram.
You Might Also Like