Brace yourself for a once-in-a-lifetime astrological event that’s right around the corner: on January 12, 2020, at 11:59 a.m. EST, Saturn and Pluto will meet in Capricorn for the first time since 1518. Yes, dear reader, you read that correctly. These two celestial powerhouses haven’t connected in the sign of the sea-goat in over 500 years!!! *breathing into a paper bag*
So what’s the deal with Saturn and Pluto?
Saturn and Pluto are cosmic heavyweights when it comes to astrology. Saturn is the celestial body that symbolizes our responsibilities and karmic lessons. Considered the “taskmaster,” Saturn’s energy can be cold and uncompromising: Saturn wants you to learn things the hard way—no shortcuts allowed.
Pluto is intense in its own way. This distant celestial body governs transformation and rebirth, and is responsible for generating cataclysmic change from the inside out. Pluto isn’t afraid of destruction. In fact, this fierce planet *thrives* on chaos. Pluto ends things that aren’t working, so when it comes to this cosmic bad boy, you can always count on drama.
Another important variable to note is that both Saturn and Pluto move pretty slowly. It takes Saturn approximately 29 years to move through the zodiac (this is why you experience that sticky phenomenon known as your “Saturn Return” in your late 20s), and spends approximately 2.5 years in each sign. Pluto is in even less of a hurry: This tiny (but mighty) celestial body takes 248 years to complete a full zodiac cycle, which means that it spends between 14 and 30 years in a single zodiac sign.
So unless you find the Elixir of Life (please DM me if you have), you will never experience a complete Pluto orbit, and neither will anyone else. Pluto’s journey through a sign defines generations, so in a sense, each person will only ever experience a small fraction of Pluto’s complete narrative. Trippy, huh?
It doesn’t take a mathlete to calculate that these two planets don’t hang out very often. When they connect, the planets experience what astrologers (ahem, *expert* astrologers) refer to as a “synod.” These synodic cycles correspond with eras in history and—in the case of Saturn and Pluto—impact the world on a macro level.
Mmkay, then what happens when Saturn and Pluto do connect?
Although Saturn and Pluto haven’t met in Capricorn since the 1500s, they do link up every few decades in various zodiac signs. They last formed a connection in the sign of Libra on November 8, 1982, which means that we’ve been moving through this synodic cycle for the past 38 years. For many of you bbs, this synodic cycle began before you were born, and your *entire lifetime* has been influenced by Saturn and Pluto’s meeting back in 1982.
History buffs may remember that in this year, an economic boom quickly followed a sharp recession in the United States. The Cold War heated up, President Reagan’s “Reaganomics” trickled down. Of course, the events of the era perfectly capture Libra’s essence: Symbolized by the scales, Libra energy is always working to balancing opposites.
If we look back even further in history, it’s clear that the Saturn-Pluto synod directly links to some major socio-political shifts: The 1914 meeting in Cancer corresponded with the beginning of World War I while the 1947 connection in Leo marked the end of World War II. *the more you know*
SoOo...what can we expect now?
Based on astrological history, we know that this celestial event will cause some monumental and globally felt shifts. We may see massive change in government structures, the creation of new legislation regarding corporations, or even the dissolution of oppressive systems. Remember, darling, things are neither “positive” or “negative” in astrology—they just exist.
To understand how this Saturn-Pluto alignment will impact you personally, see where 22 degrees Capricorn illuminates your natal chart. This will give you insight into which area of life this connection will impact. And while some of you may experience powerful change on January 12, most people will witness their own personal transformation related to Pluto over a longer period of time. These planets move very slowly, and change is always occurring, even when we can’t see it.
If your 22 degrees Capricorn illuminates your…
- 1st House: Expect massive transformation relating to your identity and sense of self. Your evolution will be apparent!
- 2nd House: Your relationship with money is about to change drastically. What you once valued may no longer have the same importance.
- 3rd House: Cataclysmic shifts within your crew will cause you to question the sustainability of these friendships.
- 4th House: Prepare for major insight relating to your domesticity, whether you’re moving, settling in with a new roomie, or simply reassessing your concept of “home.”
- 5th House: Expect incredible changes in the ways you exude your creativity. You’re about to become the artist you’ve always wanted to be!
- 6th House: Look out for major shifts in your day-to-day routines shaking up your calendar management.
- 7th House: Expect profound transformation within your partnerships, whether you’re moving towards commitment or closure.
- 8th House: You’re diving deep into your past—don’t be surprised if you rediscover memories or experiences that have been tucked away for years.
- 9th House: You’re ready to break free, and now, you realize that your quest for knowledge is actually essential to your emotional growth.
- 10th House: It’s time to make a name for yourself—and in a big way! Release anything holding you back: It’s time for your glow up.
- 11th House: You have so many brilliant thoughts and ideas, and now, you’re ready to share them with the world. Trust that people are listening.
- 12th House: You’re about to realize that, when you look within, you already have all the answers you’ve been seeking. Your intuition will never steer you wrong.
Good luck out there, people!
You Might Also Like