The royal family is kicking off 2020 by re-creating a family portrait.
The new photo was released today to mark the start of a new decade. It features Prince George, Prince Charles, Prince William and Queen Elizabeth II posing in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace on Dec. 18, 2019.
More from Footwear News
- Princess Charlotte and Prince George Steal the Show in the Cutest Outfits on Christmas Day
- Kate Middleton Wears Princess Diana's Tiara With an Alexander McQueen Gown at Diplomatic Reception
- Queen Elizabeth Is Out and About in Her Favorite Monochromes and Comfy Low Heels in London
Prince William’s eldest child, Prince George, 6, wears green and blue checkered pants with a white collared shirt, while his dad wore a classic navy suit with a royal blue tie. Prince Charles, the queen’s oldest child, also followed the color trend, wearing a pinstripe blue blazer and pant set with a pale blue tie. The three princes matched in their footwear, all wearing black leather lace-up dress shoes.
Queen Elizabeth herself sported a pale blue midi-length dress with a blue brooch and a set of black patent square-toe pumps.
The four royal family members represent the line of succession for the throne and were originally photographed for a portrait in summer 2015. That photo, which was released in April 2016 to celebrate the queen’s 90th birthday, shows the same quartet, again all in shades of blue.
For the original image, Prince Charles and Prince William donned a similar style of footwear — as did Queen Elizabeth, who appears to be wearing the same pair of patent pumps. Prince George, however, was only 2 years old at the time and wore a set of Start-rite Jo T-bar shoes for the photo as he stood on a stack of foam blocks.
The color blue is historically associated with the royal family in England, as it is said that the official “royal blue” shade was created for Queen Charlotte in the 18th century.
Best of Footwear News
- How Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's Style Has Evolved Over the Years
- Céline Dion's Most Unforgettable Style Moments of 2019
- 7 Genius Royal Style Hacks You'll Wish You Had Known Sooner