A mom was having fun with her 3-year-old daughter, using Fright Night’s Colored Hair Spray in Rotten Red on her little girl’s hair before they went to a hockey game on Dec. 9. The temporary hair color washed right out that night without any issues, but when mom Karina Wyatt applied the product again the next day at her toddler’s request, Wyatt says a big clump of her daughter’s hair fell out.
“I went to go, just brush her hair, you know? Just pat it down, and hair was just coming out off on my hand,” Wyatt told KWCH12 News.
The Wichita, Kansas, mom said she’d followed the directions, avoiding the scalp and spraying it directly on her child’s hair, and was shocked over the ensuing hair loss.
“I just had a pretty good sized wad of hair, and it just kept coming out,” she said. “It says to shake it up real good and spray it, and don’t get it on the scalp. All I did was just lift up her hair, and I was just doing little pieces.”
This isn’t the first hair product to come under fire for allegedly causing hair loss. WEN by Chaz Dean was sued by 200 people for hair and scalp injuries, including “severe hair breakage” and “visible bald spots.” Following a 2014 class action lawsuit, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety alert for WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products — a rare step for beauty products. As of July 2016, the FDA had received 127 adverse event reports from consumers about WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products, which is “the largest number of reports ever associated with any cosmetic hair cleansing product,” according to the administration.
More recently, L’Oréal was sued by Delicia Taylor, who claims that their hair relaxer left her with bald spots, as well as burns and scabs on her scalp. In a separate case, two women, Dorothy Riles and Sharon Manier, are also suing L’Oréal after using the brand’s hair relaxer, which they claim caused hair loss and scalp burns. L’Oréal responded to Riles and Manier’s allegations by telling Buzzfeed: “We do not believe the allegations in this lawsuit have merit. For more than 100 years, L’Oréal has been committed to the safety of its consumers.”
Wyatt was surprised that a seemingly harmless spray-on hair color would lead to hair loss and she is now warning other parents. “I was more mad than anything,” she said. “I mean, I went and grabbed the bottles and I threw them away right away. Then I thought, ‘No, I better not throw these away, because I need to get the word out.’”
Yahoo reached out to both Fright Night and its parent company, American International Industries, for a comment, but did not receive a response.