After "talking things through" with the Queen, Prince Charles, and Prince William, Meghan and Harry have seemingly agreed to the beginnings of a plan moving forward regarding their decision to step away from their senior roles in the royal family.
The Queen issued a rare personal statement today outlining the first steps of the process following a meeting in Sandringham between the British monarch, Prince Harry, Prince Charles, and Prince William. Meghan was expected to join by phone as she has already returned to California, but it is unclear if she did.
The Queen expressed that while she "would have preferred" that Harry and Meghan continue to serve as senior members of the family, she and others in the family "respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of [the royal family]."
The British monarch also noted that there are still matters to sort out, affirming that Harry and Meghan "do not want to be reliant on any public funds," and that during the forthcoming "period of transition," the royal couple will split their time between Canada and the UK.
Read the Queen's statement reads in full here:
Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.
My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.
Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.
It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.
These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.
Today's so-called royal "summit" was a relatively short meeting. Per royal reporter Rebecca English, the Duke of Sussex "is believed to have arrived at 11.20am" while Prince William reportedly showed up at 1:45 p.m., for the conversation which reportedly began at 2 p.m. William, Harry, and Charles were all photographed leaving Sandringham by 4:45 p.m.
#SandringhamSummit Harry is believed to have arrived at 11.20am - perhaps for lunch with HM and the PoW?— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) January 13, 2020
William, who has been staying at nearby Anmer Hall, arrived through a side entrance at 1.45pm, just 15 minutes before the reported start of the summit at 2pm.
Last week when the meeting was first announced was announced, a source told Town & Country that "complex and thoughtful discussions" would be required to set a new plan in motion.
While the beginnings of a "workable solution" have seemingly been reached, changes will not take effect overnight. "There is a genuine agreement and understanding that any decision will take time to be implemented," the source said.
You Might Also Like