Prince Philip Transferred Back to King Edward VII’s Hospital After "Successful Procedure"

Caroline Hallemann
·3 min read
Photo credit: Pool/Max Mumby - Getty Images
Photo credit: Pool/Max Mumby - Getty Images

From Town & Country

Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been transferred back to King Edward VII's Hospital following a "successful" procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.

"Following The Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s Hospital this morning," read a statement from Buckingham Palace, released on March 5. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days."

The day before, the palace announced that Philip "underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital" on March 3, adding that "His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days." The Duke of Edinburgh had been moved to St Bartholomew’s Hospital from King Edward VII’s Hospital on March 1.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, commented on her father-in-law's condition on March 3, during a public engagement. Prince Philip is “slightly improving,” she said, according to royal reporter Chris Ship. She also shared that Philip's treatment “hurts at moments,” and that she and her fellow royal family members “keep our fingers crossed” for him.

Prince Philip has been in the hospital for more than two weeks at this point. Buckingham Palace confirmed he had been admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London in mid-February.

"The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell," read a statement from a palace spokesperson at the time. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest." At the time, it was understood that the illness was not COVID-19-related, and that Prince Philip traveled to the hospital by car. It was not an emergency admission, and he walked into the hospital unaided.

A few days after Prince Philip entered the hospital, Prince William gave an update on his grandfather: "He's okay," William said during a visit to a vaccine center in Norfolk. "They're keeping an eye on him."

Buckingham Palace then shared that Prince Philip is being treated for an infection.

"The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection. He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days," reads the statement.

Prince Edward further told Sky News that Prince Philip is feeling "a lot better."

"We keep our fingers crossed," he said.

Photo credit: Steve Parsons - PA Images - Getty Images
Photo credit: Steve Parsons - PA Images - Getty Images

You Might Also Like