Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Win Legal Battle Over Paparazzi Photos

Caroline Hallemann
·2 min read
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images
Photo credit: WPA Pool - Getty Images

From Women's Health

  • Today, the royal couple settled a lawsuit with the paparazzi agency Splash U.K. regarding photos taken of Meghan and her son Archie.

  • Today's settlement is separate from Meghan's privacy lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited over the publication of portions of a letter she wrote to her father.

  • The Sussexes have not been shy about taking legal action when they feel their privacy has been unlawfully intruded upon.

While Meghan Markle's privacy lawsuit against the publishers of the Mail on Sunday is still ongoing, one of the Sussexes' other legal battles appears to have come to a close. Today, the royal couple settled a lawsuit with the paparazzi agency Splash U.K. regarding photos taken of Meghan and her son Archie.

“As explained in today's hearing, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have successfully settled a legal claim brought at the beginning of this year against the paparazzi agency Splash U.K.,” a spokesperson on behalf of Schillings, legal representation for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, said in a statement today.

“This settlement is a clear signal that unlawful, invasive, and intrusive paparazzi behaviour will not be tolerated, and that the couple takes these matters seriously - just as any family would.”

The spokesperson further explained that “a simultaneous and similar claim against Splash U.S., a sister company to Splash U.K., continues to move forward in the British court system.”

According to the Guardian, a statement read to the court also noted that “Splash UK will not take any photographs of the duke and duchess or their son in the future.”

Today's settlement is separate from Meghan's privacy lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited over the publication of portions of a letter she wrote to her father. That trial was originally scheduled for next month, but has been postponed until fall 2021.

The Sussexes have not been shy about taking legal action when they feel their privacy has been unlawfully intruded upon. Earlier this year, the couple also settled with and received a formal apology from news agency X17, who had flown photography drones over their home in L.A.

“We apologize to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their son for the distress we have caused,” the agency said in a statement, per the New York Times. “We were wrong to offer these photographs and commit to not doing so again.”

The Sussexes' lawyer, Michael J. Kump, also issued a statement. “All families have a right, protected by law, to feel safe and secure at home,” he said.

You Might Also Like