Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is currently on fire, and firefighters are working to control the massive blaze.
The photos and videos on Twitter from people on the ground are gut-wrenching.
Reporters are saying that the fire is being treated as an accident but that the roof of the building has “entirely collapsed.”
The 850-year-old Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is currently on fire, and images and videos from horrified tourists are starting to appear on Twitter.
Firefighters are working right now to try and control the blaze, but it’s massive. Notre Dame was in the middle of renovations, with scaffolding up and statues (thankfully) removed. Since the fire started, authorities have worked to clear the area of people, but the smoke from the fire is still visible from miles away.
What caused the Notre Dame fire isn’t immediately clear, but France 2 television is reporting that police are treating it like an accident. Reporters are also saying the roof has “entirely collapsed,” and there is video of the church’s spire falling.
Meanwhile, people and reporters who have been cleared from the area safely are starting to post images and videos of the fire on Twitter.
- Mélanie Gouby (@Melaniegouby) April 15, 2019
- Patrick Galey (@patrickgaley) April 15, 2019
BREAKING: The roof of the Notre Dame Cathedral has collapsed into the church pic.twitter.com/8caUCgVlQp
- LIVE Breaking News (@NewsBreaking) April 15, 2019
- Bob le Centriste (@BobLeCentriste) April 15, 2019
- 78,052,562 with luv (@shreyanators) April 15, 2019
- Kennedy💛 (@kpopgangsksk) April 15, 2019
BREAKING: Smoke and flames seen shooting out of top of Paris' iconic Notre Dame cathedral as fire breaks out.
The fire may be connected to the recent restoration of the church, officials say. https://t.co/lsQYxe5tef pic.twitter.com/FQ5xV9GyiF
- ABC News (@ABC) April 15, 2019
- SF Foghorn (@SFFoghorn) April 15, 2019
- Kat 🌙[semi ia]📌 (@_BunnyNochu_) April 15, 2019
- Ellie Hall (@ellievhall) April 15, 2019
We’ll continue to update this post as we learn more about the fire.