As the novel coronavirus continues to spread in the UK, there is natural concern about Queen Elizabeth, given that the 93-year-old British monarch is solidly in the age bracket that puts her at risk for serious illness from COVID-19.
But there's no truth to the rumor that the Queen has fled Buckingham Palace for Windsor Castle amid the outbreak.
“She is in good health but it was thought best to move her. A lot of her staff are a bit panicky over coronavirus," the source said. “The Palace hosts a constant stream of visitors including politicians and dignitaries from around the world," the insider continued.
“The Queen has met a lot of people there until recently. But she is weeks away from her 94th birthday and advisers believe it is best to get her out of harm’s way."
Buckingham Palace has denied the story to multiple outlets, and now the Queen is back at her London residence.
A spokesperson for the palace told Metro.co.uk that "the trip was part of the Queen’s regular weekend residence at Windsor and that she is expected back at the palace this week as usual."
She returned to the city this afternoon, and the royal standard, the flag that indicates when the Queen is at home, is now flying above Buckingham Palace.
While the Queen is back in London, she is modifying her working schedule because of COVID-19. "As a sensible precaution and for practical reasons in the current circumstances, changes are being made to The Queen’s diary commitments in the coming weeks," reads a statement from Buckingham Palace, made last week.
"In consultation with the Medical Household and Government, Her Majesty’s forthcoming visits to Cheshire and Camden will be rescheduled. Audiences will continue as usual. Other events will be reviewed on an ongoing basis in line with the appropriate advice."
Notably, Prince Charles and Camilla's upcoming royal tour of Jordan, Cyprus, and Bosnia and Herzegovina has also been rescheduled due to the novel coronavirus. But some other royal engagements are continuing on as planned.
As of March 15, 1,372 people have tested positive for the virus in the UK, and 35 patients have died from the disease.
UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK:— Department of Health and Social Care (@DHSCgovuk) March 15, 2020
As of 9am on 15 March, a total of 40,279 have been tested:
Across the UK, 35 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have sadly died. pic.twitter.com/ElnkxRnbJC
You Might Also Like