You know that laundry packets can be dangerous, but England mom Jemima Strain wants parents to know just how much damage can be done in just a moment's notice.
After a dangerous accident involving a single-dose laundry pack - that happened under Strain's close watch - left her toddler temporarily blind, she posted her story to Facebook to warn moms and dads.
"My little human picked one up, as he always helps to do the washing, and it popped. The liquid went in his eye," she claims. "I had no idea how awful the contents are. After washing them out as much as possible he was still clearly in a lot of discomfort and pain."
Strain then said she ended up rushing her child to the emergency room where nurses spent an hour and a half holding him down and using a liter and a half of saline to try to force his eyes open and neutralize the liquid. After, she was sent to an eye specialist who reportedly told her her son had chemical burns to his eye.
"Please don't let your children help with the washing. These tablets are as bad [as] bleach and can be life threatening if swallowed," she continued. "We were fortunate ... we acted fast and he was only blind for 3 days and with drops started to open his eyes and now has full site back."
While Strain's son regained his eye sight, doctors told her not everyone is that lucky and that accidents like this have resulted in kids having their corneas burned off. And though she was using a UK brand, our experts at the Good Housekeeping Institute add that caution should be used for all cleaning products, single-dose packs are especially risky.
"Children (and pets) should be kept away from all cleaning products whether they are stored or in use, especially these single-dose packs as they are more concentrated than traditional formulas," says Carolyn E. Forté, Director of Home Appliances, Cleaning Products and Textiles Lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute. "If you have children in the house or children come to visit, it's wise to use another form of laundry detergent."
If your child comes into contact with one of these detergent packets, the American Association of Poison Control Centers advices calling your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 immediately for recommendations on how to handle to situation.
You Might Also Like