The French fashion house has sent out a save-the-date for a cocktail on Jan. 22 at its flagship on Avenue Montaigne in Paris featuring the outline of a basketball court with the LV initials glowing in the middle.
More from WWD
- New Era Celebrates Centennial With Yearlong Collaborations
- Zegna and Fear of God Are Cooking Up a Capsule
- From Cropped Hoodies to Cardboard Clothes: Brands to Check Out at Paris Men's Week
“Michael Burke, chairman and chief executive officer, Louis Vuitton is pleased to invite you to celebrate the new partnership between Louis Vuitton and NBA,” said the invitation, which bore the hashtag #LVxNBA. Officials at Vuitton declined further comment.
In a historic first for the French capital, the inaugural NBA regular season game will be played at the AccorHotels Arena in Paris on Jan. 24 between the Charlotte Hornets and the Milwaukee Bucks.
Vuitton has a history of sports collaborations, producing trophy cases for the America’s Cup, the FIFA World Cup, the Rugby World Cup and the Roland-Garros tennis tournament. Its recent partnership with Riot Games, the maker of the online video game “League of Legends,” extended to a capsule ready-to-wear collection.
Vuitton opened the luxury doors to sportswear with its 2017 collaboration with Supreme, and the trend shows no sign of waning, with Prada and Adidas recently announcing the launch of a long-term partnership, and Dior unveiling a sneaker with Jordan Brand at its pre-fall men’s show in Miami last month.
Read more from WWD:
WATCH: The Best and Worst 2019 Fashion Trends
Best of WWD
- American Dream: What to Know About New Jersey's Supersized Shopping Mall
- The Biggest Spring 2020 Fashion Trends From the Runways
- Celebrities at New York Fashion Week Spring 2020