Lab in Ecuador's capital forced to halt coronavirus testing

GONZALO SOLANO

QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — A major laboratory in Ecuador’s capital closed and halted processing coronavirus tests Friday because technicians didn’t have basic supplies like tubes, pipettes, masks and gloves needed to safely analyze the specimens.

The Biotechnology Institute at Quito’s Central University had been expected to receive and process tens of thousands of tests but its director said only 5,150 could be done before running out of equipment.

“We can’t process any more tests because of a technical failing,” Lucy Baldeón said.

Ecuador is one of nations hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Latin America. As major cities like Quito begin to reopen, authorities have insisted on the need to increases testing. But those efforts have been complicated by corruption scandals, delays in acquiring tests and now shortages of essential lab materials.

“We have the tests and we can’t use them,” city councilman Bernardo Abad said. “They were purchased but the city didn’t prepare.”

The Central University lab is one of two contracted directly by Quito officials to boost the city’s testing capability. The other has not yet begun processing specimens. The Ministry of Public Health operates its own labs and conducted 16,379 tests in Quito from March to May. That testing is expected to continue, though to date has fallen short of what many believe is needed in the city of 2.7 million people.

Ecuador has done 133,458 molecular and rapid COVID-19 tests in all, according to the health ministry, and nation's per capita rate trails far behind countries like Chile and Peru that have greatly expanded testing.

Technicians at the Biotechnology Institute managed to stay in operation the last two weeks by collecting supplies from other university departments. They were averaging around 320 tests a day before running out of lab materials.

“A lot of energy was put into acquiring the tests, in getting them, but the logistics to process the amount the city needs … wasn’t done,” councilwoman Luz Elena Coloma said.

Prosecutors in Ecuador have opened 45 corruption cases related to suspicious practices in acquiring medical equipment to confront the pandemic. Former President Abdalá Bucaram was arrested in Guayaquil earlier this month in connection with the probe. Investigators found 5,000 masks and 2,000 test kits in his home.

Quito’s health secretary resigned in late May after prosecutors opened an investigation indicating possible overcharging in the purchase of 100,00 molecular COVID-19 tests.

Ecuador was one of the first nations in Latin America to see a surge in virus cases. In the coastal city of Guayaquil hospitals reached maximum capacity in early April and turned away many patients who later died in their homes. More recently, Quito’s limited intensive care unit capacity has been stretched as cases continue to rise.

The Biotechnology Institute's director faulted city officials for their preparations.

“The city didn’t calculate well the capacity for how many could be processed,” Baldeón said. “They had no idea or no technical input.”

More From

  • Judge rejects Dakota Access pipeline request to stop closure

    A federal judge rejected a request from the operator of the Dakota Access Pipeline to halt an order to shut down the oil pipeline during a lengthy environmental review. U.S. District Judge James Boasberg denied the company’s request Thursday, effectively sending the case to a panel of judges on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Boasberg on Monday ordered the pipeline shut down by Aug. 5 for an additional environmental assessment more than three years after it began pumping oil.

  • Police: 2nd man charged in death of 11-year-old girl

    A second man has been arrested in connection to the shooting death of an 11-year-old South Carolina girl last year, authorities said.

  • French man accused of molesting 305 Indonesian children

    Indonesian authorities have arrested a French man for alleged sexual abuse of minors after finding videos on his laptop computer showing him molesting over 300 children, police said Friday. Jakarta police spokesman Yusri Yunus said Francois Camille Abello was arrested late last month in a hotel room where he was found with two naked girls. Abello could face death by firing squad if found guilty under child protection laws, Yunus said.

  • Russia skeptical about nuclear pact extension prospects

    Russia's top diplomat said Friday he's not very optimistic about prospects for an extension of the last remaining U.S.-Russia arms control agreement because of Washington's focus on making China sign up to the pact. Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned that Russia only wants to keep the New START treaty as much as the U.S. does and will protect its security regardless of the pact's fate. “We only need the extension as much as the Americans do,” Lavrov said during a conference call with foreign policy experts.