Face it: While the keto diet is full of delicious-sounding food (steak and cheese, anyone?), the high-fat, low-carb diet isn't really known for its tasty desserts. Ice cream's out of the question, as are most pastries and cookies. So...what's left?
Turns out, a bunch of things! You just need to be a little creative, which means knowing some key keto ingredient swaps (think: almond flour for all-purpose flour, or cocoa powder for chocolate).
Even better: Use a cookbook to jump-start your recipe creativity. Your best bet? Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets & Treats, which offers tons of recipes for low-carb indulgences. Because yes, it's true, homemade treats (even keto-friendly ones) always taste better than store-bought.
The cookbook: Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets & Treats (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing), out March 5.
The author: Urvashi Pirtre, the low-carb chef behind the popular keto blog Two Sleevers. Urvashi lost 80 pounds on the keto diet and now shares her recipes with tons of other keto dieters.
What you'll get: Clearly, you're going to get tons of "I can't believe they're keto" dessert recipes-more than 100 of them-and many only take 15 to 20 minutes to prepare. In addition to delicious recipes, you'll also get tried-and-true keto advice from someone who's (successfully!) been through the diet-like keto-friendly swaps, keto myths to dispel, and a few keto diet basics.
Try it before you buy it:
Serves 8 | Prep time: 25 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Keto cooking spray
For the brownie batter:
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Swerve granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cheesecake batter:
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp Truvia granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- For the brownie batter: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high for one minute, stopping and stirring once. Remove from the microwave and stir until all lumps have melted into the mixture (don't continue to microwave the mixture).
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and frothy. Slowly pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl, beating until well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the cheesecake batter: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, egg, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and frothy. Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter. Use a rubber scraper or butter knife to swirl the two batters together slightly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the brownie comes out clean. (If you see the edges starting to cook faster than the rest of the brownie, cover the top loosely with foil.)
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 triangles. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
Per serving: 320 calories, 29 g fat, 21 g total carbs, 2 g net carbs, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 6 g protein.
For more healthy, easy, keto-friendly recipes, buy Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets & Treats.
('You Might Also Like',)