Get excited, Riverdale fans, because the Archie Comics Universe is expanding yet again. Of course, there's already the hit show featuring the (often wild) goings-on of Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, and the gang, not to mention Netflix's The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which also takes place in the ACU. And now The CW is adding another show to the mix: Katy Keene, based on the classic comic.
Here's everything we know so far:
1. The trailer: The CW revealed a first look of Katy Keene on Friday, May 17, and it's serving major Sex and the City vibes. Check it out for yourself, below:
And here's the first full-length trailer for the show, which dropped on Monday, August 5:
2. The creators: The creative team behind Riverdale, including writers Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Michael Grassi, will also work on Katy Keene. Aguirre-Sacasa first announced the spin-off in January on Twitter with a photo of an old Katy comic book cover. "The #Riverdale universe expands!" he wrote. "Thrilled to be bringing the adventures of Katy Keene and her New York pals to life! Extra-thrilled to be doing this with my pal Michael Grassi @thatthingofwhen!"
3. The star: On March 11 it was confirmed that Lucy Hale will join the cast as the titular character, who is an aspiring fashion designer in New York City. Per Variety, "When she’s not working as a personal shopper at a luxury department store, she’s navigating friendships and dating."
"Well I’m slightly freaking out!" Hale wrote on Instagram. "Thank you @archiecomics / @writerras / @thecw / @warnerbrostv / @thatthingofwhen for trusting me to be your KATY KEENE. my heart is bursting ❤️"
4. The setting: New York City. And yes, Aguirre-Sacasa is very aware of the SATC comparisons that are already being made. “We definitely talked about Sex and the City. We wanted this to be a New York show. We talked about Girls. We talked about Mary Tyler Moore," Aguirre-Sacasa said during the Television Critics Association's summer press tour in August. "We said that Katy Keene is halfway between SATC and Girls. I had spent many years in New York being a struggling playwright, and that was our way in."
5. The tone: The show has been described as a musical dramedy, which means there's a good chance Hale will be able to show off her singing skills. Katy's friends will also be trying to make it on Broadway. “We’re hoping all of the actors will sing!” said Aguirre-Sacasa at TCA.
Don't expect all the dark drama of Riverdale either, said Aguirre-Sacasa during TCA: "[The network] wanted something “bright and aspirational. It’s nice that the show has such a different tone, like fashion and Broadway and not the gargoyle king or a cult.” (Speaking of fashion, the wardrobe is going to be really good.)
6. The costars: Ashleigh Murray, who plays Josie on Riverdale, will play one of Keene's musical friends. Others joining the Katy Keene cast include Camille Hyde, Lucien Laviscount, Jonny Beauchamp, and Julia Chan.
7. The crossovers: “I think we’ll see familiar faces from Riverdale crossing over to our world," Grassi said at TCA in August. (Yes.)
8. The air date: No official date for the first episode has been set.
Originally Appeared on Glamour