We’ve reached peak butt. After months of derrières in music videos, trend pieces, and celebrity shenanigans, Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea have topped all of the tush-centric pop culture that has come before them in 2014 with their new music video for “Booty.” So to praise the bootylicious winners of the year of the ass, let’s take a look back at everything that has led up to this point where a 45-year-old pop legend is twerking in tandem with a pasty Australian rapper.
- Jason Derulo releases ‘Wiggle’ “I got one question /
How do you fit all that in them jeans? / You know what to do with that big fat butt /Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle / Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle / Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle”
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, and Jessie J release their girl power anthem “Bang Bang” “She got a body like an hourglass, but I can give it to you all the time
/ She got a booty like a Cadillac, but I can send you into overdrive.”
- Nicki Minaj reinterprets Sir Mix a Lot’s “Baby Got Back” with “Anaconda” “Because he don’t like ‘em boney, he want something he can grab,” “Oh my gosh, look at her butt,” “Yea. I got a big fat ass. Come on!”
- Taylor Swift twerks in “Shake it Off” The lyrics don’t mention booty because Swift is more focused on baking but the music video shows the gawky girl break it down Miley Cyrus-style surrounded by women more blessed in the behind department.
- Vogue declares that “We’re Officially in the Era of the Big Booty” “In music videos, in Instagram photos, and on today’s most popular celebrities, the measure of sex appeal is inextricably linked to the prominence of a woman’s behind.”
- Because butts have been having a moment, Refinery29 posted 30 photos of unretouched behinds “From cellulite, stretch marks, and age spots to the perkiest of young butts, we believe they all deserve to have an “official era.” And, that era should be all the time.”
- The New York Times covers the posterior trend in the Style section The rear is fast becoming the erogenous zone of choice in America, vying for eminence with breasts, abs,” the article states. “Captivating back-end views of amply endowed personalities have stirred the popular imagination, prompting many women, it would seem, to chase after gawk-worthy curves of their own.
- Miley Cyrus could face prison time in Mexico for disrespecting the country’s flag While the “Wrecking Ball” singer was performing onstage at a performance for her Bangerz tour in Monterey, Mexico, a backup dancer used the red, white, and green flag to spank her fake blow-up butt. The 21-year-old’s offense typically carries a fine of $1,200 and three days in jail.