Hey, Bestie! Here Are 75 Qs to Ask a New Friend to Get to Know ’Em Better
Remember when you were five years old and didn't give a sh*t about what people thought about you? When all you had to worry about was sharing your toys, what was going to happen next on SpongeBob, and which snacks you were going to trade at lunchtime? Those were the days when making friends was so easy. You could meet someone new during first period and call them your pal by recess. Bing, bang, boom. It didn't matter what their political views were, if they chewed with their mouth open, or even if they flaked on dinner plans last minute. Dare I call them the good 'ol days?
Now that we're adults, it's not uncommon to be faced with a wee bit of awkwardness and anxiety when meeting people for the first time. (Ever forgotten every single thing you like to do for fun when asked? Same.) I get it. It's hard. Especially when you're nervous that the person you are talking to is judging everything you're saying.
In order to make new friends as an adult, it's important to remember that sometimes you might have to step out of your comfort zone and ask the important questions. The more, the merrier. Everyone likes talking about themselves (if you don't think you do...come on, get real), and showing people you're interested in what they have to say is a surefire way to bond. Good listeners make great friends!
Because I think adult friendships are incredibly important, I came up with a list of actually interesting questions you can ask a new friend to get to know them a lil bit better. Read on to get those convos flowing...and then maybe add some wine.
Questions to ask a friend you just met...
1. What type of music do you like to listen to?
2. Have you been to any concerts? If so, which ones?
3. When is your birthday?
4. Beach or mountains?
5. Coffee or tea?
6. What's your favorite type of food?
7. What's your drink of choice?
8. What are your thoughts on smoking/vaping?
9. Tell me something on your bucket list.
10. Are you religious?
11. What do you do for work?
12. Do you like to read? If so, what is your favorite book?
13. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? What about the best movie?
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
15. Are you a night owl or an early riser?
16. What do you do to wind down after a long day?
17. What's your favorite season?
18. What show are you currently binging?
19. Are you allergic to anything?
20. Do you play or watch any sports?
Funny questions that'll help break the ice...
21. What's your horoscope this week?
22. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
23. What do you consider to be your most embarrassing moment?
24. What is your go-to karaoke song?
25. What was your AIM screen name back in the day?
26. What's the weirdest WiFi name you've seen in your life?
27. Do you hang your toilet paper over or under?
28. What would you do if you won the lottery?
29. What's your best dad joke?
30. If your pet could talk, what would they say about you?
31. If a turtle loses its shell, is it naked or homeless?
32. What is the most recent dream you had?
33. Pineapple on pizza...yay or nay?
34. What would your superpower be?
35. How do you feel about people texting "K." to you?
Questions to get to know the younger version of them...
36. Where did you grow up?
37. What was your favorite thing about where you grew up?
38. What was your least favorite thing about where you grew up?
39. Are you close with your parents?
40. Do you have any siblings?
41. Where did you go to school?
42. What was your favorite childhood TV show?
43. What is your happiest childhood memory?
44. Would you change anything about how you grew up?
45. Who was your childhood best friend?
46. Did you go on any vacations with your family when you were younger?
47. How did you spend your birthdays growing up?
48. Who was your first crush?
49. Who was your childhood celebrity crush?
50. What did you want to be when you grew up?
51. What was your go-to snack as a kid?
52. Did you grow up playing any sports?
53. What was the first song you were ever *obsessed* with?
54. Who is the person that makes you feel safe?
55. What were holidays like growing up?
Questions to ask if you want to know someone on a ~deeper~ level...
56. What city truly feels like home to you?
57. Do you ever want to move to a different city?
58. When you are upset, do you want support or alone time?
59. What is something no one knows about you?
60. What is something you would want to say to your younger self?
61. Do you want children one day?
62. Do you want to be married one day?
63. What was one moment in your life when you were truly proud of yourself?
64. Do you have any phobias?
65. Which family member are you closest to and why?
66. What movie makes you cry?
67. What advice do you give to others, but never take yourself?
68. What is something people misunderstand about you?
69. What brings you peace?
70. What is your biggest fear?
71. What is something you always argue with your parents about?
72. What is something that can make a bad day better?
73. What are you passionate about?
74. Where do you see yourself in five years?
75. What qualities do you look for in a friend? What about in a partner?
You Might Also Like