“Dessert” for breakfast? Sign us up! (Photo courtesy of Danielle Walker)
Fruit-sweetened and made without any of the top eight allergens, these cookies are an addicting morning treat!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
Yield: 1 dozen cookies
- ½ pound ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm shortening
- 2 ounces pitted dates (about 3 or 4)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F.
- Place the bananas, applesauce, shortening, and dates in a food processor and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds
- Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda and lemon juice and pulse 5 or 6 times to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse twice to incorporate.
- Spoon golf-ball-size balls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten the balls slightly with the back of a spatula.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until cookies are browned all over and slightly firm to the touch.
Danielle Walker, founder of www.AgainstAllGrain.com, is the author of the New York Times bestselling cookbooks Against All Grain and Meals Made Simple. For more recipes, visit www.againstallgrain.com.
Read This Next: Mediterranean Recipes: 3 Breakfasts To Start Your Morning Right