Hatch an easy plan for dinner with chicken recipes that celebrate the season’s freshest green vegetables.
See more: Quick-Fix Chicken Suppers
Sesame Chicken Garden Salad
Dress a double batch of this light but satisfying dinner with the sesame dressing. The flavors get even better overnight in the fridge, and leftovers make a gourmet on-the-go lunch.
1/2 cup reduced-fat sesame dressing
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 (6-oz.) package regular baby or French baby carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 (4-oz.) package fresh sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise
1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced into half moons
3 radishes, thinly sliced
2 boneless deli-roasted chicken breasts, sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients; reserve 3 Tbsp.
2. Cook carrots in boiling salted water to cover 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add peas; cook 2 more minutes; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
3. Toss together dressing, carrot mixture, cucumber, and radishes. Top with chicken and cilantro. Drizzle with reserved 3 Tbsp. dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 2 days.
Note: We tested with Ken’s Steak House Lite Asian Sesame Dressing.
See more: Our Favorite Fried Chicken Recipes
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken with Basil Lima Beans
A basil puree makes a quick sauce for chicken and lima beans.
2 (1-oz.) packages fresh basil
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 (9-oz.) package frozen steam-in-bag baby lima beans (such as Green Giant)
8 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices
4 skinned and boned chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced celery (ribs and leaves)
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Process first 4 ingredients and 1 tsp. salt in a blender until smooth. Cook limas according to package directions; cool 5 minutes.
2. Microwave bacon in a single layer between paper towels on a plate 2 minutes or until heated through but still limp. (Do not fully cook.)
3. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Wrap each breast with 2 pieces of bacon. Cook chicken in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until bacon begins to brown. Turn chicken.
4. Bake chicken, in skillet, at 425° for 20 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; thinly slice.
5. Stir together celery, next 2 ingredients, limas, and half of dressing. Serve chicken with lima bean mixture and remaining dressing.
See more: Grilled Chicken Favorites
Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Asparagus
Toasted bread is the perfect starch to sop up the tasty pan sauce.
4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb.)
2 teaspoons Sicilian crushed red pepper-and-garlic seasoning (such as McCormick Perfect Pinch)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 green onions (optional)
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh dill leaves or chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons butter
4 French bread loaf slices, toasted
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a rolling pin or meat mallet. Sprinkle with seasoning and salt.
2. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes. Add green onions to grill (if desired), and grill chicken and onions 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is browned and done.
3. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cook asparagus and next 2 ingredients in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add capers and lemon juice; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Remove from heat; stir in dill and butter, stirring until butter melts.
4. Place chicken and onions on bread, and top with sauce.
Crispy Chicken with Greek Green Bean Salad
Feel free to sub kid-friendly chicken strips for chicken breasts.
1 (8-oz.) package thin green beans
1 medium-size red bell pepper, sliced
1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup bottled Greek dressing
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 (4-oz.) skinned and boned chicken breasts
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
4 tablespoons canola oil
1. Grate zest from lemon (about 1 Tbsp.). Halve lemon, and juice it. Cook beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Stir together bell pepper, next 4 ingredients, lemon juice, and beans.
2. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a rolling pin. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
3. Place flour and eggs in two separate shallow dishes. Stir together panko, lemon zest, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a third dish. Dredge chicken in flour, dip in eggs, and dredge in panko, pressing to adhere.
4. Cook half of chicken in 1 Tbsp. hot canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 minutes or until golden. Turn chicken, add 1 Tbsp. canola oil to skillet, and cook 3 minutes or until done. Keep warm in a 200° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and canola oil. Serve with bean mixture.