Dog Food Is Being Recalled Nationwide—Here's What You Need to Know

Giant Schnauzer Puppy

A pet food recall was announced recently after investigators conducted a test for Salmonella and Listeria which came back as positive. The voluntary recall included products shipped to over 1,500 customers, specifically Viva Duck for Dogs (Chunked), with Lot number 22853. The investigation was sparked by a single customer complaint, which ultimately led to the discovery of both Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes, as was reported in an email alert from Viva.

According to Viva Raw’s statement online, the product in question had the last of the shipment departing warehouses on December 6, 2023. So far, only one customer complaint has been reported and there have yet to be any other reports related to the contamination.

For those unaware, coming into contact with either Salmonella or Listeria can result in mild symptoms, including fever, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In more serious cases, symptoms such as headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions can develop as well. If not treated correctly, more severe and long lasting issues may arise, such as brain and nerve damage.

Related: Another Pet Food Recall Has Been Issued Across Multiple States—Here's What You Need to Know

As of now, if you have received a product from Viva Duck for Dogs (Chunked), Lot 22853, you should receive a direct notice from Viva Raw in your email. If, however, you do not receive an email from the company, it is safe to assume that the product you received is deemed unaffected and safe to use by Viva Raw. Don't forget to check your spam and junk folders to be sure.

Additionally, if you do have some of the product in question remaining in your home, check the lot code that is printed on the sides and confirm whether or not it says Lot #22853. Viva Raw encourages you to take a photo of the remaining product and fill out the response form in your email before discarding the product. It is important that you do not sell or donate the products, as it is certainly unsafe for consumption by pets or any other animals. You can find contact information here as well as a helpline to call or text regarding any questions and concerns that may arise.

Up next: I Tried Rosa Parks' Featherlite Peanut Butter Pancakes and My Breakfast Will Never Be the Same