It’s been approximately 138 days since quarantine began (but who’s counting?) and while we love the idea of hitting up an amusement park for summer fun, we’d rather stay home, put on our sweatpants and watch an old VHS of The Lion King for everyone’s sake. Sounds pretty nice, right? To make it even better, Disney just shared its recipe for fried pickles to recreate the magic (sans waiting in line) of a deep-fried treat at home.
According to Disney Parks Blog, the Carnation Café at Disneyland has been serving the signature deep-fried pickle spears since 2012. Lucky for you, the recipe only requires six ingredients, so you can easily recreate the tart-crisp-salty experience from the comfort of your kitchen. (They even shared the dipping sauce recipe.) Here’s how to do it.
How to Make Disney’s Fried Pickles:
Makes 12 pickles
Zesty House Sauce
1½ teaspoons sriracha sauce
½ cup ranch dressing
1½ teaspoons lime juice
⅓ cup mayonnaise
⅛ teaspoon coarse salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 cups canola oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
One 16-ounce jar dill pickle spears, or about 12 pickles (should be uniform in size; cut in half widthwise, if necessary)
1. Make the Zesty House Sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sriracha, ranch dressing, lime juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, whisking well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
2. Make the Fried Pickles: In a large skillet, heat the oil to 365°F. Have ready a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the flour in a shallow dish.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Transfer to another shallow dish. In another shallow dish, mix the panko and Parmesan cheese together.
4. Lightly dredge each pickle spear in flour, then dip the pickle in the eggs, tossing gently to coat. Allowing the excess egg to drip off, then dip the pickle in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place the breaded pickle on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all the pickles are breaded.
5. Working in batches, carefully place the breaded pickles in the skillet and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Serve with the zesty house sauce.