Up close, Aussie actress Yvonne Strahovski has the kind of flawless, dewy skin that sends makeup artists into paroxysms of joy.
That wasn’t always the case for the star of Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale. The 34-year-old actress had to change her diet before she noticed a major difference in how she looked.
“I don’t eat sugar. I eat fruit. I grew up with horrible skin. I had cystic acne ever since I can remember. I ended up finally listening to those people who say you are what you eat,” she tells Yahoo Style. “Sugar was the only thing my skin responded to when I quit it, and it’s been six years.”
She also tries to minimize anything she does to her face, meaning the fewer facials or treatments, the better. In fact, her skin-care regimen, such as it is, is enviably simple: she washes her face with soap and water and moisturizes using face oils.
“The more gunk I have on my face, the less free I feel,” she says.
Read more from Yahoo Beauty + Style:
• I Was There: Juiciest Behind-the-Scenes Moments from the Met Gala Red Carpet
• Is She Evil? Nope, Just Misunderstood, Says ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Star Yvonne Strahovski
• ‘If It’s a Little Revealing, Whatever’ Is Ariel Winter’s Body-Positive Style Ethos
• Laura Linney’s No-Frills Beauty Secrets: Popcorn and Meditation
• ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Star Elisabeth Moss: ‘Saying You’re Not a Feminist Is Like Saying You’re Not a Human Being’