Audio recordings of Corey Feldman’s 1993 interview with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office have been unearthed, tapes in which the actor says he named his alleged abusers.
Feldman has maintained that he named the men who sexually abused him as a young actor while officers were investigating Michael Jackson, a claim the sheriff’s office previously denied. On Wednesday they reversed course, saying in a statement that investigators uncovered additional evidence and files from 1993, including recordings of interviews with Feldman.
“Following the recent inquiries into the Sheriff’s Office interview of Mr. Feldman in 1993, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office conducted an additional review for any stored items remaining from the Michael Jackson investigation,” public information officer Kelly Hoover said in a statement. “In a container which included the original reports from the investigation, the Sheriff’s Office located some detective working copies of audio recordings made during the investigation. A copy of Mr. Feldman’s interview was located.”
“The recording is being turned over to the Los Angeles Police Department,” Hoover continued. “Due to the fact that this case involves the alleged sexual abuse of a child, we are unable to comment further and any documentation or evidence related to this case is exempt from release.”
Los Angeles police opened an investigation after Feldman brought his allegations to them last month. However, the case was soon closed because the statute of limitations had passed.
It is unclear if the new recordings will change that outcome, but Feldman tweeted a challenge to the LAPD on Wednesday.
TIME 2 REOPEN THAT CASE @LAPD I DID REPORT IT WITHIN THE STATUTE, SO NOW IT SHOULD B ADMISSIBLE RIGHT?: Corey Feldman report child sexual abuse audio tape found Santa Barbara https://t.co/sgbefANA2i via @usatoday
— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) December 7, 2017
Feldman has long said that a Hollywood pedophilia ring victimized him and his friends when they were child actors in the ’80s. Recently, he named two of his alleged abusers in appearances on “The Dr. Oz Show” and has begun crowdfunding a $1 million film that he promised would expose others.
Related stories from TheWrap: