It’s time to make space on your Pinterest account for a hair inspiration board that’s dedicated to Yara Shahidi. The Black-ish star (and our new hair muse) has consistently served up stunning hairstyles, proving that having naturally curly hair is awesome.
Shahidi turned heads at this year’s People Choice Awards in a harlequin-print ruffled floor-length dress by Off-White, chic topknot, and bold red lipstick. While we love this look from head to toe, the 17-year-old really nailed it with the hair.
1. Massage hair oil throughout strands — Cristina B.’s go-to is Elujuda MO Fluent Oil.
2. Use a rattail comb to separate a section of hair on left side to create twists.
3. Apply Oribe Rock Hard Gel, then flat twist hair up and secure with elastics that match your natural hair color.
4. Gather back section of hair up into a high pony and wrap with a bungee. This ponytail holder doesn’t slip and keeps locks in place.
5. Wrap hair around into a topknot and pin down.
6. Smooth Rita Hazan Triple Threat Split End Remedy onto bangs to prep before heat styling.
7. Wrap small pieces loosely around curling iron for a defined wave and fluff with fingers to enhance volume.
8. Use a bobby pin to hold up ends of bangs.