Julia Louis-Dreyfus is one of the few comedians in Hollywood who can nail a punch line. From her wisecracks as Elaine Benes on Seinfeld to her witty remarks as Selina Meyer on Veep, gut-busting laughter is sure to ensue whenever she is onscreen. But when it comes to her red carpet style, Louis-Dreyfus doesn’t joke around.
The 56-year-old actress always manages to appear polished yet not overly made up. One of Louis-Dreyfus’s standout beauty moments is this chic chignon. With her jet-black locks pulled up (aside from a few face-framing wisps), we get to see her shimmering gray shadow and chandelier earrings.
In the video above, Stunning Braids author and hairstylist Monaè Everett shows us how to get Louis-Dreyfus’s beautiful updo. This sophisticated hairstyle looks good on women of all ages and works for any special event (weddings, anniversary parties, or school dances). So grab the hairspray, a handful of bobby pins, and get ready to Copy That!
1. Finger-comb Kérastase L’incroyable Blowdry lotion through hair.
2. Then add Kérastase Mousse Bouffante.
3. Spray Oribe Maximista Thickening Spray into layers to plump up fine/flat hair.
4. Use a round brush to blow dry volumizing products into hair. (Everett used the Schwarzkopf Professional Ceramic Digital Hair Dryer by FHI.)
5. Pin-curl the top section and continue smoothing out remaining hair with hair dryer and brush.
6. Take a rat-tail comb and separate the front sides to prepare for extensions. Pro tip: Hair extensions not only help to boost volume but also maintain hold in updos.
7. Tease roots before clipping in AB Hair extensions and apply one finger-width apart.
8. Gather the back section into a low side ponytail.
9. Loosely curl ponytail and sides with Hot Tools 1-Inch Curling Iron.
10. Pin side and top curls to hold shape.
11. Create two three-strand twists, and use your fingers to loosely pull apart and enhance texture. Secure ends with an elastic.
12. Wrap twists around pony holder and set with hair pins.
13. Release pin curls and back-comb into a bouffant.
14. Create center part in front.
15. Curl ends of wisps and finish with a few spritzes of Oribe Superfine Hair Spray.