During Wednesday’s Jeopardy!, music legend Janet Jackson was featured in one of the clues. But while Jackson is one of the most successful female pop stars of all time, she was mistaken for Ariana Grande.
Under the category “Billboard Music Award,” contestants were given the clue, “As the recipient of the 2018 Icon Award, she took “Control” and took to the stage in her first live performance in nearly a decade.” It was followed by a video of Janet Jackson performing her massive hit “Nasty.”
Contestant Alwin Hui immediately buzzed in and incorrectly answered, “Who is Ariana Grande?” While the wrong answer cost him $800 in the game, it may have cost him even more on Twitter, as Jackson fans were appalled by his innocent mistake. In fact, both Jackson and Jeopardy! were trending topics on the social media site.
The gaffe also came just 2 days after another Jeopardy! contestant confused singer Chaka Khan with warrior leader Chaka Zulu. This did not go unnoticed on Twitter either.
While Hui did not win big on the game show, he did win big in the respect department. The consultant from Washington D.C. joined in the Twitter fray with his first original tweet. He wrote, “Today, I learned Ariana Grande is not the same person as Janet Jackson. AMA.” So clearly he’s being a good sport even though the Twitterverse is giving him a hard time.
ALWIN HUI: Let's finish the Music Awards for $800-- or not finish.
ALEX TREBEK: As the recipient of the 2018 Icon Award, she took control and took to the stage in her first live TV performance in nearly a decade.
- During Wednesday's "Jeopardy!" music legend Janet Jackson was featured in one of the clues in which they pointed out her Icon Award and even showed her performing her mega hit, "Nasty."
- (SINGING) Nasty, nasty boys. Let me see your nasty body move. Oh, you nasty boys.
- So contestant Alwin Hui thought he'd throw out a response.
ALEX TREBEK: Alwin?
ALWIN HUI: Who is Ariana Grande?
ALEX TREBEK: No. Sarah?
- Who is Janet Jackson?
ALEX TREBEK: Yes.
- Janet being mistaken for Ariana Grande is possibly the most embarrassing thing to happen to Janet on national television or maybe the second most embarrassing. And fans of both Janet and "Jeopardy!" were not having it, with one fan tweeting, "I just watched a guy named Alwin on "Jeopardy!" call Janet Jackson Ariana Grande. What world is this?"
The gaffe also came just days after another "Jeopardy!" contestant confused singer Chaka Khan with warrior leader Shaka Zulu, prompting fans to wonder what is going on and one to tweet, "Between the woman who answered Chaka Khan instead of Shaka Zulu and the guy saying Ariana Grande instead of Janet Jackson, I don't think "Jeopardy!" screens their contestants anymore." As of this taping, Janet has not responded to Alwin's gaffe, but we can imagine what she might be thinking.
- (SINGING) Oh, you nasty boys.