Making candy at home sounds intimidating, right? Luckily, that’s not always the case. This churro saltine cracker toffee (from Christy Denney’s new cookbook, Scrumptious from the Girl Who Ate Everything) couldn’t be simpler. There’s no need for a candy thermometer and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
“My grandma was known for her saltine cracker toffee,” she writes. “Because I like things with cinnamon and sugar, I came up with this white chocolate version that tastes just like a churro.”
All those Christmas cookies better watch out.
Excerpted with permission from Scrumptious from the Girl Who Ate Everything by Christy Denney (2021, Shadow Mountain).
Churro Saltine Cracker Toffee
Servings: Makes 40 crackers (about 24 servings)
40 salted saltine crackers
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups white chocolate chips
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Arrange the saltine crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil; boil until it turns a deep caramel color, about 3 minutes. Immediately pour the mixture over the saltines and spread with a silicone spatula to cover the crackers completely.
3. Bake the crackers until the caramel is bubbly and the crackers look like they are floating, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and straighten any crackers that have gotten out of line.
4. Sprinkle with the white chocolate chips and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. (If the pan isn’t hot enough, you can place it back in the oven for about a minute to encourage melting.) Spread the melted white chocolate into an even layer with a spatula.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly on top of the white chocolate while it's still wet.
6. Cool completely. You can place the pan in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to help the white chocolate set. Once the white chocolate is set, break the toffee into pieces to serve.
PureWow may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from PureWow's editorial and sales departments.