Chef José Andrés Spoke Out Against Goya Foods After The Food Brand's CEO Praised President Trump

Alexis Morillo
Photo credit: Getty Images
Photo credit: Getty Images

From Delish

Last week, there was a call to boycott Goya products after the company's CEO Robert Unanue praised President Donald Trump during a White House press conference. Celebrities and politicians alike, including Chrissy Teigen and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, said they'd no longer be buying from the brand. Now chef José Andrés is speaking out about the brand.

In a Rose Garden ceremony that took place on July 9, Goya CEO Unanue said "We're all truly blessed to have have a leader like President Trump who is a builder. We have an incredible builder, and we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president."

Related: Chef José Andrés Is Feeding Thousands In Puerto Rico

Chef José Andrés has been quick to step up and provide for communities in need through his work with World Central Kitchen, especially during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. He took to Twitter to respond to the Goya controversy.

"Let's be clear @GoyaFoods President Trump has left Latinos and many Americans hungry. Cages Latino Children. Has forgotten the Latino community through this pandemic. Has called Mexicans rapist. We are blessed? I think Latinos we are being mistreated," the Spanish-American chef wrote in a tweet on July 9. Andrés did not comment on whether he was boycotting the brand completely, as other public figures have.

In response to the calls for a boycott of Goya products, Unanue said in an interview with Fox News that he's "not apologizing" and said that the criticism he's receiving is a "suppression of speech."

You Might Also Like