Royal fans got some confusing mixed messages from the Sussex camp Thursday when the Palace announced that Queen Elizabeth II's doctors were putting her under medical supervision out for concerns about her health. The long-reigning monarch died later that day at the age of 96.
"Tensions were so high and there was no way Meghan could have gone to Balmoral," a palace source told Page Six earlier this week. "The fact the Sussex camp did say both Harry and Meghan were going — and then quickly retracted that statement — will tell you everything you need to know about the drama behind the scenes."
Now, a royal source is shedding some light on the details of that behind-the-scenes drama, which now-King Charles seems to have played a big role in.
"Charles told Harry that it wasn’t right or appropriate for Meghan to be in Balmoral at such a deeply sad time," a source told The Sun, adding that Charles "made it very, very clear Meghan would not be welcome."
Given the longstanding tensions between Meghan, Harry and the rest of the royal family, Meghan's absence fueled feud rumors, but the source said the ban was more about limiting the Queen's last visits to immediate family.
"It was pointed out to him that Kate [Middleton] was not going and that the numbers really should be limited to the very closest family," the insider added.
Following the Queen's passing, Meghan has been included in royal mourning activities. Prince William notably invited the Sussexes to join him and his wife, Kate Middleton, in greeting mourners and well-wishers outside Windsor Castle. A source told People that Will, who was recently named Prince of Wales, wanted Harry and Meghan to join him for the walkabout as "an important show of unity at an incredibly difficult time for the family."
You Might Also Like