OK, go with your gut. You need to say goodbye to either hot wings or mac and cheese forever; which one’s getting the boot? Just kidding, we’d never ask such a cruel question. In fact, we fully support you indulging in both whenever you want, which is why we'd like to introduce you to what we're deeming the best of both worlds: buffalo chicken mac and cheese.
It’s super creamy as-is, but we won’t tell if you top it with a drizzle of ranch dressing. We also suggest using store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of cooking one yourself. Less time in the kitchen = more time for dessert.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Servings: 6 servings
1 pound mini penne
2 tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
⅓ cup buffalo sauce
3 cups shredded mozzarella
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook about 2 minutes more. Add the milk and buffalo sauce, whisking until it comes to a simmer. Add the mozzarella cheese and stir until melted.
4. Add the cooked pasta and shredded chicken; stir to coat in the sauce.
5. Transfer to a greased 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Bake until the sauce is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.