Brown Sugar Cookies with Dulce de Leche
Servings: 24 servings
1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup (106g) dark brown sugar
1 large (56g) egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2¾ cups (330g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1⅓ cups (339g) dulce de leche
Sprinkles (optional), for finishing
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium-low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix on medium speed to combine. Scrape the bowl well. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix on low speed until fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
3. Form the dough into a 1-inch-thick disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to three days).
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies, then transfer the cookies to four parchment-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate while you preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. Transfer the baking sheets to the oven and bake until the cookies darken slightly around the edges and appear set, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheets.
6. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of dulce de leche on top of each cookie and spread evenly to frost. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired. Store the cookies on a baking sheet covered with plastic wrap.