Have you noticed all the cleansers, serums, and lotions touting acids? Best known for their exfoliating power, these surprisingly versatile skincare ingredients can hydrate, clean pores, brighten, and more. And while the idea of applying acid to your skin may give you pause, we can confirm these ingredients are totally safe—not to mention worthwhile—for your complexion. But they aren't all created equal. Use this handy guide to find the right type of acid for your skin's needs, whether that's an anti-aging boost, smoother skin, blemish control, deep hydration, or maybe a blend of more than one skincare benefit.
- For Anti-Aging: Glycolic Acid
- For Smoothing: Lactic Acid
- For Treating Acne: Salicylic Acid
- For Hydration: Hyaluronic Acid
- For Multi-Purpose Skincare: Acid Blend