Benedict Cumberbatch, his wife, Sophie Hunter, and their three children faced a scary situation earlier this year when a knife-wielding man attacked their London home.
As reported by DailyMail.com, a man named Jack Bissell, 35, a former chef at the five-star Beaumont Hotel in Mayfair until 2020, located Cumberbatch's home, kicked through the front garden's gate, and aggressively attacked the property.
He reportedly pulled up a plant and threw it at the garden wall, before spitting at the intercom and then tearing it out with a knife. Bissell shouted threats at the occupants of the home, saying, "I know you've moved here, I hope it burns down."
The man then fled the scene, but he was arrested after authorities found his DNA on the intercom.
The event happened earlier this year, and on May 10, Bissell pled guilty to criminal damage at Wood Green Crown Court. He was fined £250 and given a three-year restraining order against Cumberbatch, his family, and the area where they live.
It is unclear why the former chef targeted Cumberbatch and his home.
Prosecutors told the court that before attacking Cumberbatch's home, Bissell bought two packs of pitta bread from a nearby store and told the shopkeeper that he was going to break into the actor's house and burn it down.
A source close to Cumberbatch told DailyMail.com, "Naturally all of the family were absolutely terrified and thought this guy was going to get in and hurt them."
"Luckily it never went that far. Benedict and Sophie have had many sleepless nights since worrying that they may be targeted again. The fact that it was a targeted intrusion makes it a lot more scary," they concluded.
Bissell was previously arrested during protests against British military intervention in Syria in 2015, and he also has a previous conviction for theft and warnings for various offenses.