We’ve come a long way from MP3 players and the CD Walkman, but there’s still nothing quite like listening to a song that brings you back to a memory—you know, like the one of you dancing in the kitchen with your girlfriends and screaming the words to Taylor Swift’s newest love song? Thanks to apps and music streaming services like Pandora, it’s become a yearly tradition to look back at the songs that we jammed out to the most, reliving them, re-listening to them, and reflecting on the top hits of the year. And as 2019 closes out an entire decade, we have even more to look back on.
So, who made the list this year? From Ariana Grande and Billie Eilish to Shawn Mendes and the Jonas Brothers, Pandora’s top songs of the year are recognizable records that have taken us through the last 12 months.
The top songs of the decade, however, are the kind of bops that will bring you back (and inspire you to make an awesome throwback playlist, of course).
Pandora based its picks for the top songs based on the hits that earned the most “thumbs ups” from users over the last year and 10 years. Surprisingly enough, Pandora will be celebrating its 20th birthday in 2020, so the online service-turned-app has years of data to pull from That means every breakup song (looking at you, Adele), girl power anthem, and sing-a-long-worthy soundtrack that you’ve deemed worthy of a thumbs-up, it documented.
Below, check out the most popular songs this year and the most popular songs of the decade, according to Pandora. The top songs might not be what you think
Pandora’s most popular songs of the year:
- “Old Town Road” by Lil NasX
- “MIDDLE CHILD” by J.Cole
- “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande
- “Wow.” by Post Malone
- “Please Me” by Cardi B & Bruno Mars
- “Going Bad” (feat. Drake) by Meek Mill
- “Sunflower” byPost Malone & Swae Lee (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- “No Guidance” (feat. Drake) by Chris Brown
- “Talk” by Khalid
- “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande
- “bad guy” by Billie Eilish
- “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored” by Ariana Grande
- “Sucker” by Jonas Brothers
- “Look Back At It” by A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie
- “Worth It” by YK Osiris
- “Suge” – DaBaby
- “a lot” by 21 Savage
- “Money In The Grave” (feat. Rick Ross) byDrake
- “Someone You Loved” by Lewis Capaldi
- “Señorita” by Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello
We see you, Ariana Grande!
Pandora’s most popular songs of the decade:
- “Earned It” by The Weeknd
- “Someone Like You” by Adele
- “See You Again” (feat. Charlie Puth) by Wiz Khalifa
- “The Motto” by Drake
- “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran
- “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri
- “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars
- “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic
- “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith
- “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons
- “Hello” by Adele
- “Stay” (feat. Mikky Ekko) by Rihanna
- “All Me” by Drake
- “Love The Way You Lie” by Eminem
- “Love Me” by Lil Wayne
- “Needed Me” by Rihanna
- “Somebody That I Used to Know” (feat. Kimbra) by Gotye
- “Royals” by Lorde
- “Roar” by Katy Perry
- “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift
Rihanna and Adele are just doing this decade right and taking over with multiple entries. We’ll be turning up the volume on our headphones until further notice. Here’s to seeing what kind of hits the year 2020 will bring.